How to generate HTML API doucment for ruby?

Alan

I googled the internet and didn't find any clear instructions I can
follow.

Now the v1.8.6 is out and the place I go for ruby document at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/ does not have the updated API for v1.8.6.
I wonder if I can generate the similar document locally with my ruby
installation. Can someone give me a clear instruction on how to generate
it? For example, if my ruby is installed at c:\ruby (Windows platform),
what would be the command to generate the HTML API doc for the core
classes?

Thanks,

Jano Svitok

I googled the internet and didn't find any clear instructions I can
follow.

Now the v1.8.6 is out and the place I go for ruby document at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/ does not have the updated API for v1.8.6.
I wonder if I can generate the similar document locally with my ruby
installation. Can someone give me a clear instruction on how to generate
it? For example, if my ruby is installed at c:\ruby (Windows platform),
what would be the command to generate the HTML API doc for the core
classes?

Thanks,

1. the docs on the page you mentioned should be 1.8.6 (although the
main page still says 1.8.5)

2. you can generate them easily: go to c:\ruby\src\ruby-x.x.x\ and run
rdoc -o rdoc
(to prevent compliants about 'doc' dir already existing)

run rdoc -h for more tweaking possibilities. It's even possible that
the docs are already generated somewhere...

Jano

James Britt

Alan said:
I googled the internet and didn't find any clear instructions I can
follow.

Now the v1.8.6 is out and the place I go for ruby document at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/ does not have the updated API for v1.8.6.

Why do you say that?

As best I can tell, I have the 1.8.6 source docs served as the default
core API docs.

Alan Feng

Thanks for the help, I've successfully generated the html doc locally
with the rDoc tool.

As pointed out, I thought the doc at ruby-doc is still 1.8.5 because its
front page didn't mention anything about 1.8.6. I am not sure how to
verify its version, as the included changelog file with my windows
installation didn't say much about the core API changes from 1.8.5 ->
1.8.6. If there is a page that details this core API change that someone
know, could you please post it here?