How To: make the datalist scroll to the cell being edited?

Alan Silver

Hello,

I have a datalist which I am using to view and modify some data. When
the user clicks the "edit" link, the appropriate cell is moved into edit
mode, as specified in the EditTemplate.

The problem is that if the data table is longer than the browser window,
so the user has to scroll down to see parts of it, then when they are
taken to edit mode, the page loads and stays at the top of the table.
They then have to scroll down and find the cell they asked to edit.

Any way to take them straight to the cell? Any other solutions to the
problem, for example forcing the row containing the cell to be edited to
the top of the table, etc?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ollie Riches

you can use SmartNavigation to do this. It will persist page scroll position
and page focus between postbacks. Unfortuantely this will only work in IE
browsers. check out

frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassSmartNavigationTopic.asp

I guess if you want to support non IE browsers you could use an anchor
instead

--
HTH

Ollie Riches
http://www.phoneanalyser.net

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this forum are my own, and not
representative of my employer.
I do not answer questions on behalf of my employer. I'm just a programmer
helping programmers.

Alan Silver

you can use SmartNavigation to do this. It will persist page scroll position
and page focus between postbacks. Unfortuantely this will only work in IE
browsers. check out

frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassSmartNavigationTopic.asp

I guess if you want to support non IE browsers you could use an anchor
instead

How can I do that? I don't have control over the postback URL (do I?),
so I can't add an anchor to it.

Please clarify this last bit as I would like a cross-browser solution.

Thanks
--
HTH

Ollie Riches
http://www.phoneanalyser.net

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this forum are my own, and not
representative of my employer.
I do not answer questions on behalf of my employer. I'm just a programmer
helping programmers.

Alan Silver

you can use SmartNavigation to do this. It will persist page scroll
position and page focus between postbacks. Unfortuantely this will only
work in IE browsers. check out

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassSmartNavigationTopic.asp

I just tried this and it stopped my "edit" linkbutton from working. When
I added the page directive, nothing happened when I clicked on the
linkbutton. As soon as I removed the directive, it worked again.

Any explanation? It's a shame as it's a nice feature.