HTML Help, Please

Jim

I have a Yahoo website where I have posted some basic documents,
but, overall my HTML skills are terrible.

I wanted to buy a simple and clean HTML template and make a simple
site where I could simply replace the maker's "Greek" with my own
text, but keep the rest of the template stayed 100% original.

I figured to do it on Notepad and then cut-and-paste it to an empty Yahoo
page.

Well, the template uses CSS style sheets. I have no idea of how to use
them.
And, even though I am sure that it is wonderful and amazing, I have no
desire to
spend hours and hours learning a skill that I'll never use again.

A tutorial I read said, "simply put the css file and the html file in the
same folder and then open them together." I'm lost. I'm used to plain
HTML, with images (this template has one image). I'd upload them to the
Yahoo editor and be done quickly.

Can this css/html even be uploaded to Yahoo? Or, can I, some way, merge the
two into html?

Or, can someone in this group do something like that...I'll pay for the
work.

Thanks in advance. Jim sonicblue52 at yahoo.com

There are several things going on here. First, if the template is done
correctly, you really only have to replace the default text - and that's
a big if. You see, with semantic markup - that is using the correct
HTML element for the job, and all presentation being left to CSS - there
really is not much to do but edit the text. If the template was created
correctly, you should be good to go.

Good idea for you to open the files in Notepad. You might want,
however, to get an editor that has syntax highlighting - that way you
can easily see what's what. I like HTML-Kit from
[http://chami.com/html-kit/], it's free.

Now, the big question is what Yahoo is going to do with the files once
you put them up. If you are using one of the free sites (Geocities),
then they will make a mess out of it. I'm not sure what the paid
versions of Yahoo websites do.

Jim

Hi Adrienne. Please read my reply at the bottom of this original message:

Thanks in advance. Jim sonicblue52 at yahoo.com

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Hi Adrienne,

Well, I moved all of the files with the template up to Yahoo, and here is
how it looks:

http://www.thororanch.com/zzmyindex.html

I know that you are saying, "Big deal.....geeze." But, this is a major
victory for me.

Now, I only have to do one thing. The header is a beautiful picture of a
sunset.
It is called "header.jpg." and is 430 x 210.

Here's the template, called Chic02:
http://www.oswd.org/designs/favorites/sortby/date/page/5/

As you can see, it is not at the top of my page.

The file is uploaded, but I don't know how or where to put the instructions
for the page to show "header.jpg".

I tried very hard to combine the CSS and html, and I'm 90% of the way there.

Once I can get the photo to show, I'm in business.

If not, I'll find another pretty picture to put there. I have several that
I can use.

But, I don't know how to say, "Put that picture called header.jpg at the top
of the page." And, more importantly, I don't know where to put the command,
either.

Please look at the source code and tell me if I am doing ok.

Guru, I've done all I can for now. Please help me out with this one.

I hope that you'll respond. Thank you very much! Jim

Tagsoup

Thanks in advance. Jim sonicblue52 at yahoo.com
[...]

That 'command' is already there - in the CSS. The problem is that the
image is not available, as you can see by going directly to its correct
location in a browser: http://www.thororanch.com/images/header.jpg

To fix this, upload the images folder that came with the template.

dorayme

Well, I moved all of the files with the template up to Yahoo, and here is
how it looks:

http://www.thororanch.com/zzmyindex.html
Now, I only have to do one thing. The header is a beautiful picture of a
sunset.
It is called "header.jpg." and is 430 x 210.
As you can see, it is not at the top of my page.

The file is uploaded, but I don't know how or where to put the instructions
for the page to show "header.jpg".

I tried very hard to combine the CSS and html, and I'm 90% of the way there.

Once I can get the photo to show, I'm in business.

If not, I'll find another pretty picture to put there. I have several that
I can use.

It is not the fault of the pic, it is that it is not included in the
source mark up. You can look up the source under View in your browser
and see there is no img element for it. You might need to go to some
Yahoo group for advice about their interface if you do not use the
normal way of establishing and maintaining a website (having docs and
pics on your local computer and uploading them to a web server via FTP).

Adrienne is not available right this minute, she is fleeing from Travis
and does not know that Dirty Harry has actually just shot him dead and
it is safe to return home.

dorayme

dorayme said:
It is not the fault of the pic, it is that it is not included in the
source mark up. You can look up the source under View in your browser
and see there is no img element for it. You might need to go to some
Yahoo group for advice about their interface if you do not use the
normal way of establishing and maintaining a website (having docs and
pics on your local computer and uploading them to a web server via FTP).

As a subsequent poster reminded me, it could (and was) a background
image and in the CSS. Sorry. I need to finish the first cup of tea of
the day...

So it is not loaded up right. I will leave you in the hands of Yahoo
experts...

rf

dorayme said:
As a subsequent poster reminded me, it could (and was) a background
image and in the CSS. Sorry. I need to finish the first cup of tea of
the day...

None of the images are loaded. They all get a 404, except of course for the
one yahoo puts in there to surrupticiously track visitors (OP 404 means the
file is not found on the server).

Are those images in a folder called image, as in
http://www.thororanch.com/images/back.gif ?

Remember servers are usually case sensitive.

So it is not loaded up right. I will leave you in the hands of Yahoo
experts...

Indeed.

Jim

Thank you all very much for your input.

BTW, all of the images were uploaded in advance.

You were right about the problem......I needed a subdirectory for images,
etc.

Once I did that, it came out looking as it should on the internet.

However, it doesn't come out the same using the Yahoo editor.

So, I am switching over to an editor/FTP combo which should allow me better
control over the images.

From there, just as all of you said, I just need to replace the scrambled
text with my intended text.

Then, I'll make additional pages from the same source code, and edit the
text to fit the title of the link (Contact Us, etc.)

One reply was that the Yahoo editor was not the best. I have found that to
be the case.

Another reply pointed to a lack of subdirectories for the various
components. That advice was spot on.

Now, it is simple, but can now control it a bit better and actually feel
comfortable in just switching out text, links, etc., for each page.

This will give me a smooth, business type look, which is what I am looking
for.

For me, the breakthrough was in the subdirectories.

BTW, I had gone through several tutorials, and some of them do not even
contain the term "subdirectory." Others mention it only briefly and en
passant.

In brief, without your assistance, I would have never even known how to get
started.

Thank you all very much...verily, I appreciate it.

Jim