HTTP 500 Server Error

JRE

I've just recently run into some trouble that has me
banging my head against the wall (on my desk, on co-
workers, etc.). I'm in the process of developing a web
application using ASP.NET. (Note: During development,
I'm hosting the site on my local machine under IIS.) All
was going well until I attempted to go into VS.NET to
work on it a couple of days ago. When attempting to open
the project, I get the message: "The Web server reported
the following error when attempting to create or open the
Web project located at the following
Error'." I get the same error if I try to open the web
in my browser.

I've attempted to find knowledge base articles that might
help me, and I've tried a few things with little to no
success. Here are some of the things I've tried and the
results. (I'm hoping I might provide the clue that
someone needs to enlighten me.)

I've uninstalled IIS, .NET Framework, and VS.NET 2003. I
reinstalled all three and continued to have the same
problem. I uninstalled IIS and reinstalled it. Once
this was done, I was able to launch the web in my browser
but, naturally, none of the .NET functionality was
available. I then used the aspnet_regiis.exe utility to
reregister .NET with IIS and the problem reasserted
itself.

In attempting to figure out what is going on and how to
solve it, I've noticed a couple of other quirky things on
my PC and I'm beginning to fear that the problem may
exist with my Windows installation (Windows XP Pro, for
the record). For instance, if I open the Component
Services snap-in and attempt to get to 'My Computer', as
soon as I select the 'Computers' folder, the snap-in
closes.

If anyone has any ideas or directions for me to try, I'm
all ears. I've already pulled out so much of my hair
that I'm starting to look like Gollum.

Many thanks in advance!!

Curt_C [MVP]

I get this now and then.
find the aspnet_regiis.exe
run it with the "-i" switch. Fixes it for me everytime.

JRE

Although I didn't state it clearly, when I said that I
had used the aspnet_regiis.exe utility, I was using the -
i switch.

Bottom line: Still not working.