HTTP_REFERER avoidance?

Dave Anderson

I have had the misfortune of having to debug a problem with a vendor
application, and have determined that the problem was caused by the
existence of the HTTP_REFERER header.

Assuming I want the user to reach http://server/app.dll?qsinfo, each of the
following causes the app to function correctly:
• window.location.replace("http://server/app.dll?qsinfo")
• <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="0;URL=http://server/app.dll?qsinfo">
• window.open("http://server/app.dll?qsinfo")
• Opening the URL from a bookmark, desktop shortcut, or an application
other than the browser.

Each of these causes failure:
• <A HREF="http://server/app.dll?qsinfo">Go</A>
• <A HREF="Redirect.asp">Go</A>, where Redirect.asp reads:
<% Response.Redirect("http://server/app.dll?qsinfo") %>
• Ditto, but with Server.Transfer()
• <IFRAME SRC="http://server/app.dll?qsinfo"></IFRAME>

I suspected early on that the HTTP_REFERER was the culprit, as the
above divide neatly according to absence or presence of that header.
Fortunately, Mozilla allows me to confirm this:

[about:config] --> set network.http.sendRefererHeader = 0

Now, I am perfectly capable of using a workaround until the vendor fixes the
problem (my colleagues were happy to run with the META solution, but I find
it inelegant), but I am left wondering if there were an easier solution
available to me.

Is anyone here aware of a means of stripping the HTTP_REFERER header?

--
Dave Anderson

Roland Hall

in message
:
[...]

Is this what you're after?
Remove:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/act/htm/actml_ref_rem.asp?frame=true
Reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/act/htm/actml_ref_href.asp?frame=true

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Dave Anderson

Roland said:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/act/htm/actml_ref_href.asp?frame=true

Perhaps I should be more explicit. I want the client to send its request
without the HTTP_REFERER header. Unless I'm missing something, the ability
to tweak headers in ACT does not seem to assist me in this.

--
Dave Anderson