I see default.aspx as text when I browse to site on XP

Larry Brindise

I have deployed an ASP.NET application successfully on
Windows 2000 and 2003. When I deploy it on an XP Pro
machine (fresh install with framework 1.1 and IIS
installed), I get a very unexpected result. Keep in mind
I install everything as "default" as it gets, IIS
included. I install my project into a virtual directory,
so I browse to my installed site as:
http://localhost/myproject
Yes, there is a file called "default.aspx" in my project
and it is the default document specified in the virtual
directory. I have changed none of the default settings --
I didn't have to in 2000 or 2003 so I didnt't on XP. Of
course in 2003, I had to turn on the "ASPX Application
Server" in IIS.
Anyway, what happens is that when I browse to this site
on the XP box, either as //localhost/mysite locally, or
remotely as //xpbox/mysite, I see in my browser window
the text contained within the file default.aspx...quite
useless!!
I have never seen anything like this before. ASP is not
recognizing it or something because when I simply browse
to //localhost, I get the default IIS "under
construction" page.
Do I have to give .NET a kick in the butt somehow on XP?
Please help.
Regards,
-Larry Brindise

Larry Brindise

I haven't tried it because I am no longer at the office,
however I am confident this is the solution. The article
you referenced recalled to my memory the fact that I
installed the .NET framework before I installed IIS on
the XP machine. I'm sure I'll get support calls on this
one!
Regards,
-Larry