IE 6 Blocks Javascript

Mike Scholl

Can someone help me here.

I have a web site with some javscript. When I upgraded to WinXP IE6 etc I
found that opening my site I get an Information Bar message that Internet
Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content. Presumably
anyone else accessing my site gets the same message.
However when I access other sites with javascript I don't get the message.
Ergo it must be my code that is the problem.

Mike

Randy Webb

Mike said:
Can someone help me here.

I have a web site with some javscript. When I upgraded to WinXP IE6 etc I
found that opening my site I get an Information Bar message that Internet
Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content. Presumably
anyone else accessing my site gets the same message.
However when I access other sites with javascript I don't get the message.
Ergo it must be my code that is the problem.

Search the groups.google.com archives of comp.lang.javascript for the
string "Mark of the Web" and read the thread. It will answer your
question, and, tell you the solution.

Kien

Hi,

If you test the page *locally* you'll get the message.
But if you upload it and see it online, you won't.
The bar is there to warn you that the script is accessing something in
your *local* hard-drive, like images or text-files or something.

Kien

Randy Webb

Kien said:
Hi,

If you test the page *locally* you'll get the message.
But if you upload it and see it online, you won't.
The bar is there to warn you that the script is accessing something in
your *local* hard-drive, like images or text-files or something.

NO. The bar is not there for that reason. Had you bothered to read the
article/thread I mentioned you would have found that out. An empty
script block as such:

<script type="text/javascript"></script>

will cause that bar to be present. Now, how is that script above
"accessing something on your local hard drive"?

And read the group FAQ. It will do you good.

--
Randy
Question: Why?

Kien

Randy said:
NO. The bar is not there for that reason. Had you bothered to read the
article/thread I mentioned you would have found that out. An empty
script block as such:

<script type="text/javascript"></script>

will cause that bar to be present. Now, how is that script above
"accessing something on your local hard drive"?

And read the group FAQ. It will do you good.

Hi Randy,

OK I take that back but ...
The "Mark of the Web" didn't work.
I tested it locally and the bar is still there.

Isn't there a way to manually and locally switch of this annoying
"feature" of IE6 WXP sp2?

Kien

Randy Webb

Kien said:
Hi Randy,

OK I take that back but ...
The "Mark of the Web" didn't work.
I tested it locally and the bar is still there.

Sample code? I have never had it fail in IE6 XP SP2.
Isn't there a way to manually and locally switch of this annoying
"feature" of IE6 WXP sp2?

I think, not sure, that you can edit the registry but not sure.

Grant Wagner

Kien said:
Hi Randy,

OK I take that back but ...
The "Mark of the Web" didn't work.
I tested it locally and the bar is still there.

Correctly inserting the "Mark of the Web" does work:

<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
<head>
<title>Title</title>
</head>

The above places the script in the Internet zone, and therefore IE does
not block any script, since script in the Internet zone can not do the
damage that one running in the My Computer zone can.
Isn't there a way to manually and locally switch of this annoying
"feature" of IE6 WXP sp2?

Yes.

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
Security section
check "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Wed, 23 Feb
2005 19:57:04, seen in Grant Wagner
<[email protected]> posted :

Correctly inserting the "Mark of the Web" does work:

<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
The above places the script in the Internet zone, and therefore IE does
not block any script, since script in the Internet zone can not do the
damage that one running in the My Computer zone can.

IMHO, the Mark should be in the FAQ.

Since there seems to be some difficulty or delaying element as regards
FAQ updates, can the newsgroup itself develop an item on the Mark,
suitable for direct quotation or insertion?

The above is no doubt correct, but IMHO a little more explanation would
be appropriate for a FAQ response.