IE7 and master pages

Guest

I'm using master page for my web app. On one of my web forms (content) I'm
using a GridView and a panel to show a graph. In IE6 the page shows
correctly, the master page expands and shows the footer, gridview and graph
correclty. In IE7 the master page does not expand and my grid is overlaying
my footer in my master page. Is there a way to fix this?

Mark Rae

I'm using master page for my web app. On one of my web forms (content) I'm
using a GridView and a panel to show a graph. In IE6 the page shows
correctly, the master page expands and shows the footer, gridview and
graph
correclty. In IE7 the master page does not expand and my grid is
overlaying
my footer in my master page. Is there a way to fix this?

Is your site XHTML-compliant...?
http://validator.w3.org/

Guest

I'm it in .NET 05 and I can't validate it due to its on our internal servers
right now and not out on the web yet.

Mark Rae

I'm it in .NET 05 and I can't validate it due to its on our internal
servers
right now and not out on the web yet.

Sigh...

1) Open the webpage which is giving you problems

2) Do a View Source

3) Select the entire source

4) Copy the entire source

5) Go to the following site: http://validator.w3.org/

6) Scroll down to the "Validate by Direct Input" section

7) Paste the source

8) Hit the button

Guest

some of the errors make no sense to me:
example:
Line 13 column 35: there is no attribute "ID".
<asp:Label ID="lblWelcome" runat="server" Text="
why would this error?

or:
there is no attribute "runat".
.... <asp:Label ID="lblWelcome" runat="server" Text

and I'm getting error like that? what do they mean and how can I fix them?
remove the attributes, or what?

Kevin Jones

If this is the text you read in the browser then your aspx page is not
being parsed directly, i.e. it's sending back the raw ASPX not the
rendered output of the page.

Either that or did you copy the contents of the aspx file into the
validator!

Kevin Jones

Guest

i uploaded my master page to the site for validation. So it read the aspx
page once I uploaded. The master page is given me the issue in IE7, not the
content pages, just the master page.

Mark Rae

i uploaded my master page to the site for validation.

Why on earth did you do that?
So it read the aspx page once I uploaded.

Did you actually read my previous reply, specifically the bit about View
Source...?
The master page is given me the issue in IE7, not the
content pages, just the master page.

Neither can function in isolation...

Kevin Jones

i uploaded my master page to the site for validation. So it read the
aspx
> page once I uploaded. The master page is given me the issue in IE7, not the
> content pages, just the master page.

Right, but it's the output from the pages that's causing the problem!
The validator validtes (X)HTML not the .aspx page. You need to get the
output from the page and pass that to the validator!

Kevin