IIS Security

Guest

Hi

I have a web app that we use internally, which is accssible internally on a
specific port on the server. Our firewall blocks it to outsiders.

However, this app is only for Management use, and we'd like to secure it as
such.

What would be the best way to say "only these specific accounts can access
this". We use AD for logons, so I can enable IWA, but how do I limit the
users who can logon?

Or is there a better way?

Tnx, Dan.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dan,

As for the "We use AD for logons, so I can enable IWA", do you mean you're
using integrated windows authenticaiton in IIS to automatically acquire the
domain account from client user and forward to ASP.NET application? Or are
you using forms authentication and AD membership provider to let user
interactively input domain account credential to login the application?

For limiting the users who can login the system, if you're using ASP.NET
2.0, the new role provider service can help correctly control the access
authorization to pages in the application, no matter you're using forms
authentication or windows authenticaiton(you can associate custom roles in
database to those authenticated identities). Here is a good blog thread
demonstrate this:

#Recipe: Implementing Role-Based Security with ASP.NET 2.0 using Windows
Authentication and SQL Server
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/pages/Recipe_3A00_-Implementing-Role_2D00_Bas
ed-Security-with-ASP.NET-2.0-using-Windows-Authentication-and-SQL-Server.asp

Or if you do not want to use ASP.NET's built-in authorization service, you
can also built a custom httpmodule (or use the global.asax events) and do
your authorization code logic(deny or allow access to certain page) depend
on your own roles(in database or a config file). The "AuthorizeRequest"
public event is a g ood one.

#Handling Public Events
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9ysfzy8h(VS.71).aspx

http://awww.aspnetresources.com/tools/pipeline.aspx

Hope this helps some.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dan,

How are you doing? Have you got any progress on this?

If there is still any question or anything else we can help, please feel
free to post here.