IIS won't load ASP.NET, "specified metadata not found"

Guest

Windows XP SP2 + Symantec AV + VS 2003 with .NET Framework 1.1

IIS won't load or run existing ASP.NET applications and VS can't create or
load web projects (HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error).

Event System log shows a warning with the following attributes: User: N/A,
Source: W3SVC, Category: None, Event ID: 36, Description: The server failed
to load application '/LM/W3SVC'. The error was 'The specified metadata was
not found.'

I found the MSDN articles for VS 6.0 and when you are trying to run both 1.0
and 1.1 Frameworks at the same time. Neither appears to apply in this case.
The mfc42.dll has the correct permissions ("Read & Execute" for
"IWAM_<Computername>") and I'm not using Framework 1.0 (although there is
that rump group of four files in the
<Windir>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 directory.

The company I work for recently had us run some home-grown software to
"lock-down" our systems--I also had some other issues come up.
Unfortunately, that made it so I couldn't even load and run web pages that
had been working for months. Anyway, I've worked through almost everything
and I think this is the last issue.

Guest

Try uninstalling and reinstalling IIS. If that doesn't work, there may be
some tools to rebuild a default metabase.

Guest

Good try, thanks!

But, been there, done that. I've also "repaired" the VS installation and
all it's prerequisites.

I have managed to get it working on another, somewhat similar system (same
OS, etc, different hardware) so I could do a copy--if I could figure out what
needed to get copied. What and where is this "metadata" anyway?

Thanks!

Lowell

Guest

I think it is called the IIS Metabase, which is a set of registry entries.
Have you tried re-registering asp.net pages in IIS?

The tool is aspnet_regiis.exe in

C:\<WindowsFolder\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\

Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
This Is The Fix

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RE-INSTALL

Run the following three commands from the %windir%
\system32\inetsrv directory

rundll32 wamreg.dll, CreateIISPackage
regsvr32 asptxn.dll
iisreset /restart

Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Worked like a charm

Thanks, dkfredrickson. I was having this problem and those steps fixed it immediately. Very helpful.