IIS won't serve my ASP.NET pages

jeff

Im having a problems with IIS on my XPpro(notebook)
and win2k(desktop) machines.
I installed Visual Studio .NET 2003 both,
and am trying to create a C# asp.net application.

The webserver (iis) on the XP Machine does not work at all.
IISmanager says that it is running, but it won't serve
even a simple html page, let alone an asp or asp.net page.
I can't create a new asp.net app or webservice on the XP
machine at all--> it just hangs trying to get a response
from iis. Eventually it comes up with an error message
saying it recieved a invalid response.

On my win2k machine I can open a VS asp.net project successfully with
no error or warning messages and build it, but when
I try to run it (either from within VS or directly
from IE) I get this error message
on a "This page cannot be displayed" web page:

Error Type:
Active Server Pages, ASP 0221 (0x80004005)
The specified 'WebService Language="c#"
Codebehind="Service1.asmx.cs"
Class="WebService1.Service1" '
option is unknown or invalid.
/WebService1/Service1.asmx, line 1

I originally had a problem creating a new asp.net project.
I got an error message saying that asp.net 1.1 was not installed
on my webserver. I found a KB article (306005 -
How To Repair IIS Mapping After You Remove and Reinstall IIS) and
followed the instructions. (using aspnet_regiis.exe -i then registering
the aspnet_isapi.dll)

Now both my XP-Pro and Win2k machines show the correct ISAPI
Application entries for ASP and ASP.NET files in IISmanager - that's
progress. But...

I've also tried some solutions in other KB articles:

* KB 555132 (it is about putting an explicit IP
address in the IP Address field in the default web site properties:Web
Site:IP Address - field in IISmanager, and in the
Namespace="xxx.xxx.xx.xxx" code in the VS project file. But in the
article it also says to do something in IISmanager with the "working
status" -- I can't find such a field...

* KB82579 - providing a file called Get_aspx_ver.aspx in the wwwroot
directory.

All to no avail.

I'm about ready to start from scratch on my XP system and reformat the
hard drive and re-install EVERYTHING again, but it seems that I am SO
CLOSE TO SOLVING this on the Win2k machine that I don't want to give up
there (I can't give up anyway--I'm on a job where I have to create some
web services!!!)

Any ideas on what my next step needs to be? aparently IIS, even with
the help of aspnet_isapi.dll does not understand the
[Webservice Language="C#" class="Webservice1"...] line in the page.

I'm getting desperate, but hopeful at the same time!!! - Please help.
-Thanks again,
jeff