IIS5/ASP.NET unbelievably slow

Pavils Jurjans

Hello,

I am experiencing very slow processing of ASP.NET pages that are served over
LAN, while when running them on the server machine (ie http://localhost),
there is no slowdowns.

We have two desktop PCs with Windows XP Corporate ed, and one Laptop with
Windows 2000 Professional. The IIS is installed on all of them. When running
the ASP.NET applications from localhost, they run very smoothly. When the
application is uploaded to the presentation server (remote, administered by
our webhoster), also then there are no performance problems.
However, if I'd open the ASP.NET application from another PC on our LAN,
say, using address http://192.168.0.10/myApp , the pages are served
extremely slow. It seems that the page complexity does not matter, since I
have tested with simple pages that only assign some value to the variable
and then outputs it with Response.Write. It is by all means a server-side
problem, because ASP, PHP, and the Internet pages open with no problems on
the PC that was used as client.
Because of the fact that te apps run Ok on localhost, while drag when opened
from remote PC, I thought that's something connected with authentication.
But, all the apps used in testing have anonymous acces with IUSR_[machine
name].

I am quite puzzled now. Since all the three PCs with IIS installed behave
the same, I thought I'd search the newsgroup and many people should have run
into the same problem, so finding a fix should be not hard. However, I see
that when people ask the same question, usually that are given advices to 1)
Debug the application; 2) Understand that the pages load slow only the first
time, because of runtime compilation; 3) Antivirus is active on the server.
Neither of these are relevant on my case, so please don't spoil this thread
with giving such irrelevant advice, thus making my question to look like
"answered".

Thanks,

Pavils

Kevin Spencer

If you have a LAN, you have a Network Administrator. Ask him/her. As the app
seems to run fast enough on some machines, I would have to guess that the
bottleneck lies either in the host machine or the network.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Pavils Jurjans

If you have a LAN, you have a Network Administrator. Ask him/her. As the
app seems to run fast enough on some machines, I would have to guess that
the bottleneck lies either in the host machine or the network.

Well, there comes another 'doh' answer that makes the thread 'sort of
answered'.

As I said, the classic ASP and PHP are served well from the same host, with
no problems. So, the TCP/IP or HTTP in our LAN should not be the problem
here. The issue is only within the ASP.NET applications. *ALL* the PCs that
are in the LAN and that are not the host machine itself, get the ASP.NET
application served very slow.

Regards,

Pavils

Kevin Spencer