Implementing a Permissions Scheme

Steve - DND

I'm curious as to how some people out there have implemented permissions
schemes on their web pages such that security can be implemented on a per
group level. What I am currently looking at for my design seems to me to get
the job done, yet overly complex(but maybe that's the nature of the beast).

There are three types of permission sets:

Page Level:
View

RecordLevel:
View
Create
Edit

FieldLevel:
View
View w/o Edit

The reason for the page level is that not every page ties directly to a
particular table or entity in the database, so RecordLevel cannot be used
for that. Plus there are times when more than one type of record may show up
on a page, and as such, a general flag indicating whether or not the page as
a whole is visible is necessary.

Am I going about this the right way? Any thoughts or improvements? Also, if
anyone has any screenshots, or sites/apps that show a permissions
configuration interface I would really like to see how other people have
implemented it.

Thanks,
Steve