Installing ruby-opengl

Joe Van Dyk

Hi,

I'm on a Ubuntu (essentially Debian) linux system. What non-ruby
packages do I need to install to satisfy the dependencies for the Ruby
OpenGL extension?

It's looking for the libraries gl, glu, and glut. I installed glut,
but I'm not sure what package would give me the gl and glu libraries.=20
Some of the Mesa libraries are installed, so I would've thought that
those would satisify the dependencies, but apparently not.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Van Dyk

=20
When you installed libopengl-ruby, it should have handled all the
dependencies for you. libopengl-ruby requires freeglut3, which requires
xlibmesagl and xlibmesaglu.
=20
% apt-get install libopengl-ruby
% gunzip -c /usr/share/doc/libopengl-ruby/examples/teapots.rb.gz | ruby
=20
I see teapots.

Thanks! I don't trust debian-style ruby packages any more.. I prefer
to compile it all Ruby related things and put it in one of my local
directories.

But on my system, freeglut3-dev is installed. And those other
packages (xlibmesa-gl-dev and xlibmesa-glu-dev) are installed too.

joe@big:~/src/opengl-0.32d$ ruby extconf.rb
checking for XAllowDeviceEvents() in -lXi... yes
checking for XMITMiscGetBugMode() in -lXext... yes
checking for XmuAddCloseDisplayHook() in -lXmu... yes
checking for XOpenDisplay() in -lX11... yes
checking for main() in -lGL... yes
checking for main() in -lGLU... no
checking for main() in -lMesaGLU... no
can't create OpenGL module!

joe@big:~/src/opengl-0.32d$ ls /usr/lib/libGL*
/usr/lib/libGL.a /usr/lib/libGL.so =20
/usr/lib/libGLU.a /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1.3
/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 =20
/usr/lib/libGLU.so /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.7174 =20
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.7174 /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1

Why can't it see /usr/lib/libGLU.so or /usr/lib/libGLU.a?