Interesting Thread Gotcha

Hendrik van Rooyen

I thought I would share this nasty little gotcha with the group.

Consider the following code fragment:

<start>
print 'starting kbd thread'
keyboard_thread = thread.start_new_thread(kbd_driver (port_q,kbd_q))
print 'starting main loop'
error = Mainloop(s,port_q,active_q_list)
<end>

It produces, as output, the following:

starting kbd thread
we get here - a

It does not print 'starting main loop', the Mainloop routine
is never executed, and no exceptions are raised.

Here is the offending routine that seems to capture the control:

<start>
def kbd_driver(out_q,in_q):
"""
thread to look for keyboard input and to put it on the queue out_q
also looks for replies on in_q and prints them
"""

kbdname = '/dev/stdin'

kbd = open(kbdname,'r+',1) # Reading, line buffered

unblock(kbd) # Call the magic to unblock keyboard
print 'we get here - a'
while True:

try:
d = kbd.readline() # see if any kbd input
except:
IOError
try:
msg=in_q.get(block=False)
except Queue.Empty:
time.sleep(0.1)
continue
print msg
time.sleep(0.1)
continue
d = d.rstrip() # get rid of line feed
out_q.put([d + '\r',in_q]) # add a carriage return and return q and send
to port
<end>

The unblock is a routine that unblocks a port using fcntl - it
is not the problem. In case you don't believe me, here it is:

def unblock(f):
"""Given file 'f', sets its unblock flag to true."""

fcntl.fcntl(f.fileno(), fcntl.F_SETFL, os.O_NONBLOCK)

I will post the solution tomorrow when I read my mail,
if no one has spotted it by then.

- Hendrik

Dan

[...]

Needs to be
Commas are important!

-Dan

Hendrik van Rooyen

Needs to be

Commas are important!

-Dan

Absolutely! - well spotted!

As the first correct respondent, you win the freedom to spend a week in
Naboomspruit at your own expense.

It would have been nice, however, to have gotten something like:

TypeError - This routine needs a tuple.

instead of the silent in line calling of the routine in question,
while failing actually to start a new thread.

It seems to act no different from plain old:

kbd_driver (port_q,kbd_q)

Is it worth the trouble of learning how to submit a bug report?

- Hendrik

Duncan Booth

Hendrik van Rooyen said:
It would have been nice, however, to have gotten something like:

TypeError - This routine needs a tuple.

instead of the silent in line calling of the routine in question,
while failing actually to start a new thread.

Given that the start_new_thread function never actually got called, what
code exactly do you expect to complain about the absence of a tuple?
It seems to act no different from plain old:

kbd_driver (port_q,kbd_q)

Is it worth the trouble of learning how to submit a bug report?

On your own code? There doesn't appear to be a bug in anyone else's code
here.

Bjoern Schliessmann

Hendrik said:
Absolutely! - well spotted!

This is no threading problem at all; not even a syntax problem. If
you don't know exactly what start_new_thread and kbd_driver
functions do it's impossible to tell if your code does what is
intended.
It would have been nice, however, to have gotten something like:

TypeError - This routine needs a tuple.

instead of the silent in line calling of the routine in question,
while failing actually to start a new thread.

Exactly which part of the code should give you this warning?
Is it worth the trouble of learning how to submit a bug report?

For your problem not, IMHO, as a bug report for it will be closed
quickly.

Regards,

Björn

Diez B. Roggisch

Hendrik said:
Absolutely! - well spotted!

As the first correct respondent, you win the freedom to spend a week in
Naboomspruit at your own expense.

It would have been nice, however, to have gotten something like:

TypeError - This routine needs a tuple.

instead of the silent in line calling of the routine in question,
while failing actually to start a new thread.

You can't prevent the silent inline-calling - otherwise, how would you do
this:

def compute_thread_target():
def target():
pass
return target

thread.start_new_thread(compute_thread_target())

Of course start_new_thread could throw an error if it got nothing callable
as first argument. No idea why it doesn't.

Diez

Dan

You can't prevent the silent inline-calling - otherwise, how would you do
this:

def compute_thread_target():
def target():
pass
return target

thread.start_new_thread(compute_thread_target())

Of course start_new_thread could throw an error if it got nothing callable
as first argument. No idea why it doesn't.

Diez

Of course, in his case, having start_new_thread throw an error
wouldn't have helped, since he went into an infinite loop while
evaluating the parameters for start_new_thread.

Would it be possible to have pychecker (or some such) warn that there
is an insufficient parameter count to start_new_thread? I guess that
would require knowing the type of thread. . .

-Dan

Dan

Dan schrieb:

What has this to do with the second argument? It's perfectly legal to
have a function as thread-target that takes no arguments at all, so
enforcing a second argument wouldn't be helpful - all it would do is to
force all developers that don't need an argument tuple to pass the empty
tuple. So there was no insufficient argument count.

And none of these would solve the underlying problem that in python
expressions are evaluated eagerly. Changing that would mean that you end
up with a totally new language.

the only thing that could help to a certain extend would be static
types. Which we don't want here :)

Diez

It doesn't seem to be legal in my version of python (or the doc):
print "hello"

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#12>", line 1, in <module>
thread.start_new_thread(bat)
TypeError: start_new_thread expected at least 2 arguments, got 1
2256hello

-Dan

Diez B. Roggisch

Dan said:
It doesn't seem to be legal in my version of python (or the doc):

print "hello"

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#12>", line 1, in <module>
thread.start_new_thread(bat)
TypeError: start_new_thread expected at least 2 arguments, got 1
2256hello

Ah, I thought it was optional, as in the threading.Thread(target=...,
args=....)-version. Sorry for not looking that up.

Then you'd might stand a chance that pychecker can find such a situation
- but of course not on a general level, as in the above - that would
only work with type-annotations.

Diez

Hendrik van Rooyen

Duncan Booth said:
Given that the start_new_thread function never actually got called, what
code exactly do you expect to complain about the absence of a tuple?

I don't understand this assertion.

I thought that start_new_thread was called with a missing comma in
its argument list, which had the effect that I am complaining about.

Putting the comma in place solved the problem, without any other
changes, so why do you say that start_new_thread was not called?

- Hendrik

Hendrik van Rooyen

"Bjoern Schliessmann" <usenet-ourmet.com> wrote:
Absolutely! - well spotted!

This is no threading problem at all; not even a syntax problem. If
you don't know exactly what start_new_thread and kbd_driver
functions do it's impossible to tell if your code does what is
intended.
It would have been nice, however, to have gotten something like:

TypeError - This routine needs a tuple.

instead of the silent in line calling of the routine in question,
while failing actually to start a new thread.

Exactly which part of the code should give you this warning?

I am obviously missing something.

My understanding is that, to start a new thread, one does:

NewThreadID = thread.start_new_thread(NameOfRoutineToStart,
(ArgumentToCall_it_with,secondArg,Etc))

This calls start_new_thread with the name and the arguments to pass.

If one omits the comma, then start_new_thread is surely stilled called,
but with an argument that is now a call to the routine in question, which
somehow causes the problem.

So start_new_thread is the code that that is executed, with a bad set of
arguments - one thing, (a call to a routine) instead of two things -
a routine and a tuple of arguments.

Everywhere else in Python if you give a routine the incorrect number of
arguments, you get an exception. Why not here?

- Hendrik

Sion Arrowsmith

Diez B. Roggisch said:
Of course start_new_thread could throw an error if it got nothing callable
as first argument. No idea why it doesn't.

It does:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: first arg must be callable

Hendrik van Rooyen

Diez B. Roggisch said:
You can't prevent the silent inline-calling - otherwise, how would you do
this:

def compute_thread_target():
def target():
pass
return target

thread.start_new_thread(compute_thread_target())

Of course start_new_thread could throw an error if it got nothing callable
as first argument. No idea why it doesn't.

Thanks - got it, I think. Doesn't mean I like it, though:
print c
print d
return a
while True:
pass
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#15>", line 1, in ?
do_something(a)
TypeError: do_something() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#17>", line 1, in ?
do_something(harmless())
TypeError: do_something() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)

This hangs and needs OS intervention to kill it - and there is also just
one argument, not two.

Looks like the arguments are handled one by one without validation
till the end. Lets see:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#18>", line 1, in ?
do_something(a,b,harmless())
TypeError: do_something() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)

So far, so good.

This also hangs - the third, extra argument is actually called!

Are you all sure this is not a buglet?

- Hendrik

Peter Otten

Hendrik said:
[...]

Python always evaluates the function's arguments first. The check for the
correct number of arguments is part of the call and therefore done
afterwards:
1
2
3
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: f() takes exactly 1 argument (3 given)

So if one of the arguments takes forever to calculate you will never see
the TypeError:
.... print x
.... import time
.... while 1: time.sleep(1)
....1
2
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "<stdin>", line 4, in g
KeyboardInterrupt # I hit Ctrl-C

Peter

Peter Otten

Hendrik said:
I don't understand this assertion.

I thought that start_new_thread was called with a missing comma in
its argument list, which had the effect that I am complaining about.

Putting the comma in place solved the problem, without any other
changes, so why do you say that start_new_thread was not called?

Well, when kbd_driver() is called the kbd_q queue is probably empty, and
as kbd_driver() runs in the main thread, who could ever put something into
that queue? The function will therefore never terminate.

Peter

Hendrik van Rooyen

Would it be possible to have pychecker (or some such) warn that there
is an insufficient parameter count to start_new_thread? I guess that
would require knowing the type of thread. . .

I think this is the hub of the thing - its not only start_new_thread, but
the way that parameters are evaluated before being counted, generally.

See my reply to Diez's post

- Hendrik