Interesting Topics

timer

In the years past, there used to very interesting discussions in c.l.c

But now, topics are not as interesting anymore.

What happened?

user923005

     The polluters, the litterers, the vandals, the
besmirchers, the graffiti "artists" invaded.  In a
natural defensive reaction, everyone who used to be
useful -- myself included -- became polarized.

     But that's not the bad news.  The bad news is
that the graffiti "artists," besmirchers, vandals,
litterers, and polluters are not only winning but
certain to win.  Entropy is on their side.  It is
easier to destroy than to build.

     May God rot them all.

Also, glancing over the credits in the C-FAQ ...
These guys hardly ever, if at all, post here:
Dan Bernstein
Tanmoy Bhattacharya
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Billy Chambless
Clive D.W. Feather
Jos Horsmeier
James C. Hu
Lawrence Kirby
Peter Klausler
Andrew Koenig
Kaz Kylheku
Mike Lee
George Marsaglia
Richard A. O'Keefe
Dan Pop
Kevin D. Quitt
Michael Rubenstein
Jens Schweikhardt
Peter Seebach
Henry Spencer
Bob Stout
Dan Stubbs
Kurt Watzka
Larry Weiss

And these favorites are now reduced to guest appearances:
Chris Torek
Dik T. Winter

Those posters are simply irreplacable. (There are lots of others that
never got put in the credits but were valuable posters that also went
away.)

First, there was the September that never ended.
Then there were the AOLers.
Then the WebTV wave.
I don't know what to call the current wave of nonsense, but I am
partial to "The giant flush".

We'll never get ARPA-Net back.

Luke Wu

[...]

These folks are past their prime. It's time for young up-and-coming
superstars like myself.

Antoninus Twink

In the years past, there used to very interesting discussions in c.l.c

But now, topics are not as interesting anymore.

What happened?

In a word: Heathfield.

He and his chums have made the group increasingly inward-looking and
hostile to newcomers, and set such narrow bounds on topicality that most
working C programmers have no reason to hang around and get the ISO
Standard stuffed down their throat every time they open their mouth.

Or to put it another way: if the return type of main() and the behavior
of i=i++; are the only things that are topical, what room is there for
interesting discussions?

Kenny McCormack

In a word: Heathfield.

He and his chums have made the group increasingly inward-looking and
hostile to newcomers, and set such narrow bounds on topicality that most
working C programmers have no reason to hang around and get the ISO
Standard stuffed down their throat every time they open their mouth.

Or to put it another way: if the return type of main() and the behavior
of i=i++; are the only things that are topical, what room is there for
interesting discussions?

Don't be so narrow minded. How could you forget "(not) casting the
return value of malloc()" ?

P.S. Thanks for reminding me of what the "third thing" is (the "i=i++;"
thing). It had slipped my mind.