Interfacing Digital Camera

Deepa

Hai all!
I am a newbie in VHDL. And my project involves interfacing digital
camera with FPGA. May I know the ways I can do it?

Tim Hubberstey

Deepa said:
Hai all!
I am a newbie in VHDL. And my project involves interfacing digital
camera with FPGA. May I know the ways I can do it?

if method = "do_it_myself" then
specification <= research & write;
comp.lang.vhdl <= questions(reasonable);
code <= write & debug;
happy <= true;

elsif find(sucker) = true then
happy <= true;
task <= sucker;

else
if balance(bank) > $10000 then
report "Ouch!" severity note;
task <= consultant($10000);
happy <= true;

else
happy <= false;
end if;

Jerry Coffin

Tim Hubberstey wrote:

[ ... your code seems to have a bug or two: ]
elsif find(sucker) = true then

There's never a reason (IMO) to compare to true -- after all, if you're
comparing to true, you must already have a boolean, which is what the
comaparison also produces, so:

elsif find(sucker) then
happy <= true;
task <= sucker;

I suspect you really meant:

sucker <= task;

I.e. assigning the task to the sucker. :)

Tim Hubberstey

Jerry said:
Tim Hubberstey wrote:

[ ... your code seems to have a bug or two: ]

elsif find(sucker) = true then

There's never a reason (IMO) to compare to true -- after all, if you're
comparing to true, you must already have a boolean, which is what the
comaparison also produces, so:

elsif find(sucker) then

Not really a bug, just redundant. That's what happens when you code on
the fly without checking the result. :(
I suspect you really meant:

sucker <= task;

I.e. assigning the task to the sucker. :)

This all depends on your point of view. Assigning the sucker to the task
is, I believe, an equally valid expression.

Perhaps what is really needed here is some kind of bi-directional
assignment operator, like a transmission gate. I propose a new operator,
the "equivalence" operator, with symbol "<=>", for situations like this.
;-)

DAVID BINNIE

Thanks Tim,

Deepa should also be aware that his supervisor reads the newsgroups too !

Dr B

info_

Deepa said:
Hai all!
I am a newbie in VHDL. And my project involves interfacing digital
camera with FPGA. May I know the ways I can do it?

Aye !

We wrote a short Apnote :
http://www.alse-fr.com/ALSE_Video.pdf
or if you prefer English :
http://www.alse-fr.com/English/ALSE_Video_us.pdf

You'll see page 5 how we connected an Omnivision camera to the
Nios Cyclone 1C20 board (in fact, to one if the SantaCruz extension,
the other being populated wit hthe lancelot Ramdac board.)
We used the PS2 interace of Lancelot for the I2C camera I/F.

It was really easy to set up this demonstrator.
(the Nios Cyclone board is an excellent platform)
-just don't forget to remove the Compact Flash card if you have one-

Bert Cuzeau