Interpreting ASP within templates using Microsoft Scripting Control

Thomas Parslow

Hi,

I'm using an ASPTemplate class (the one from asptemplate.sourceforge.net) to
produce WAP and HTML verions of the same pages. It seemed to me that it
would be very usefull to have the template files (which are essentially just
HTML with special tags to indicate where values should be inserted) be able
to contain small amounts of ASP code.

So what I'm doing is allowing normal ASP code blocks (script delimited by <%
and %>) withing my templates, then when I display the templates I strip out
the code blocks and run them using the microsoft scripting control (passing
in the server, response and request objects).

This seems to work ok but I was just wondering does anyone see any problems
that this might cause?

Thanks :)

-Tom
PS: This is ASP, not ASP.NET
PPS: The code is very simple, if anyone wants to see it just ask

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I am not familiar with ASP template, but the architecture idea is sound. The
only potential issue I can see, at a glance, is not being able to easily
debug if there is an error. If you have that conquered, you are fine.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!