Introduction: My Quest to Master JavaScript

Seth WB

Hello,

I was referred here by Wilq. Hello!

I am a web designer & developer by day and student by night. I am on
a quest to master javascript, starting with my first goal, a medium
sized one I would say - for one of my experience. I believe with your
help, and a little hard work anything is possible.

To put it plainly: To master page speed & graphical optimization
starting with graphical features - specifically those that are
currently using jQuery - and rebuild the functionality I need from
scratch.

I have a couple of years experience in Object Oriented programming and
I think I am ready to jump in, but I only have one problem: where to
start??

The good news is I am working really with only one type of effect
here, I just need to optimize this page and all of its code
(especially the javascript) to load quickly across all browsers.

The bad news is I have to work with semi-transparent PNG's both as
IMG's and background-image:'s
- Is there a way to apply my css expression before it loads any of the
content? Currently the png expression seems to be the last thing to
load and causes image to flicker visibly on page load.

Martin

[...]

You could take an hour to watch this excellent video:

Martin.

Jorge

You could take an hour to watch this excellent video:

But see these first:

//**********************************************************
The JavaScript programming language:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111593
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111594
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111595
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111596
//**********************************************************
Advanced JavaScript:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111585
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111586
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111587
//**********************************************************
An Inconvenient API: The Theory of the DOM:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111582
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111583
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111584
//**********************************************************
JavaScript: The Good Stuff:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=630959
//**********************************************************
The State of Ajax:
http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/11/06/video-crockford/
//**********************************************************
Web Forward:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3730137/10250950
//**********************************************************
Ajax Performance:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4141759/11157560

wilq

The bad news is I have to work with semi-transparent PNG's both as
IMG's and background-image:'s
- Is there a way to apply my css expression before it loads any of the
content?  Currently the png expression seems to be the last thing to
load and causes image to flicker visibly on page load.

If you really still need to work with a PNG24 just take look at this,
and try use dynamic style for a image files.

http://koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/