Investigation techniques

Discussion in 'Java' started by FreeChemistry, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Hi

    I guess this is a bit of a strange one but I can't think of a better
    place to start.

    I have just started a fixed term contract that requires me to
    investigate a large enterprise system written by (or more accurately
    managed by) a large, well known company that has had a rather
    important role in the development of Java. The documentation consists
    of javadoc comments in the code and a rudimentary UML model for one
    small part of the system. I reckon a first estimate of the number of
    lines of source code (including comments) to be in the region of
    250,000, 500,000 lines of code in over 1000 source files (yep, some of
    these classes have over 2K lines in them). I have found out how the
    state is persisted (a combination of JDBC access, Castor and EJB 2.0
    CMP) Now I need to figure out how the business works. I have access to
    the front end and the struts config stuff but I can't really exercise
    the system as it's in the wild and being used. There are some very
    strange things going on in the code (Like VOs that access the database
    and DAOs that extend the VOs !!!!)

    I would be most interested in any techniques used by
    developers/programmers in a similar situation. I have the full source
    available and I'm using the Studio 4 IDE that comes with appserver7
    (I've also got Netbeans). I cant find the Ant build file although I
    know the developers are using Ant so I'm unable to build or deploy the
    application at the moment althought I hope to fix that soon.

    Cheers
    FreeChemist

    FreeChemistry, Jul 17, 2003

  2. FreeChemistry

    Adam Maass Guest

    Just some general pointers, and I think you're probably already doing that.

    Figure out how to build and deploy the application. There is a good sign in
    that all the source is available, and that the developers are using Ant. Get
    it deployed to a test or non-production environment so that you can play
    with it.

    What is your role supposed to be?

    -- Adam Maass

    Adam Maass, Jul 17, 2003

  3. I am provider, assembler, deployer and administrator. Give me a
    strategically placed broom and I'll sweep the floor as I leave the
    room ;-)

    seriously tho' I am one person, I have to do everything I have no
    help.
    I'm currently trying to get the Ant build script from the developers
    but they are reluctant to part with it for some reason.

    Chemist

    FreeChemistry, Jul 18, 2003