IP Address

Ian Calkin

Hi,

Can anyone help me - I want to get Front Page to show a users IP Address to
show that there computers information is being logged as I keep getting hoax
forms back. Thanks.

rf

Ian Calkin said:
Hi,

Can anyone help me - I want to get Front Page to show a users IP Address to
show that there computers information is being logged as I keep getting hoax
forms back. Thanks.

Can not be done with frontpage. Frontpage is just an editor, well, it tries
to be.

Such things have to be done server side.

What are you going to do when you log one of these IP addresses? Report it
to the ISP who owns it?

Getting hoax forms back is probably quite usual, your server side process
should cater for this.

Cheers
Richard.

lostinspace

Can not be done with frontpage. Frontpage is just an editor, well, it tries
to be.

Such things have to be done server side.

What are you going to do when you log one of these IP addresses? Report it
to the ISP who owns it?

Getting hoax forms back is probably quite usual, your server side process
should cater for this.

Cheers
Richard.

Ian,
Here's a link to a Front Page users forum ( there is also a FP NG
[ microsoft.public.frontpage.client ] )
http://www.outfront.net/

Richard,
People who primarily have the experience of using the OLD
FrontPage Express have been bashing FP in these NG's for so long, unaware
that hardly anybody uses FPE any more and the full version of FP is much
more capable than your aware.
ALTHOUGH I do NOT advise using many of the "components" which come with FP
and I the majority of FP users NEVER learn NOT to cut and paste from Word
and into FP or even worse create webpages from within Word (
microsoft.public.word.web.authoring ) adding to the FP deception provided
by these NG's.

Server Side "htaccess" is capable of many things. The htaccess file used
with "FP extensions" provides the same htaccess possibilities as any other
software.

It's a waste of time reporting form, robots.txt or TOS violations to either
ISP's or backbone providers. In most instances, the only result from either
of these two providers for webmasters seeking of a workable solution is an
automated reply.
The best solution is to begin denying ranges of access for the violators
and their providers.

Hoax forms is actually more common ( along with attempts at script hacking,)
than you are apparently aware of!

rf