IRB Console in RDT/Eclipse

voipfc

Is there a way to open an irb console in Eclipse?

I am sure there is but I can't seem to find it on the menu.

Frank

Jean Helou

One way to do it is :
run->external tools->create a configuration with ruby as exe and irb
as argument ...

works without rdt too

jean

Frank Church

One way to do it is :
run->external tools->create a configuration with ruby as exe and irb
as argument ...

works without rdt too

When I start the Run -> External Tools wizard I see 3 options

%Program.externalTools
Ant Build
Programs

It looks like Ant Build is out, which of the other 2 do I pick?

Jean Helou

I use eclipse 3.2 I have (from the menu bar)
Run->External Tools->External Tools...

I then choose program right click new this creates a new configuration
for running external programs
in location I set the path to my ruby interpreter
in args I put irb

when I run this I get an irb running in the eclipse console (though I
don't seem to have the prompt, typing works just fine).

jean

Frank Church

Thanks - I managed to get it running.

Is there a way to set it run from the toolbar rather than through the menus

Jean Helou

It should be the same, once it has run successfully once, it should
appear in the toolbar under the run external button. (the run with a
red toolbox) you should be able to select the run config by clicking
on the little black arrow on the left of that icon.

cheers
jean

Parv G.

Jean said:
I use eclipse 3.2 I have (from the menu bar)
Run->External Tools->External Tools...

I then choose program right click new this creates a new configuration
for running external programs
in location I set the path to my ruby interpreter
in args I put irb

when I run this I get an irb running in the eclipse console (though I
don't seem to have the prompt, typing works just fine).

jean

i get an error message saying "No Such File to Load", after i followed
your instructions. i'm using eclipse 3.2 with rdt plugin.

Parv G.

Parv said:
i get an error message saying "No Such File to Load", after i followed
your instructions. i'm using eclipse 3.2 with rdt plugin.

actually the error message is:
C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory -- irb (LoadError)

Thanks,
Parv