Is there a way to allow aspnet_wp.exe to execute a DTS Package that can be executed from a Windows F

Dean R. Henderson

I have a Windows library that I bind into a Windows Form application and
into an ASP.NET Web Application. I have a procedure in the library that
executes a DTS Package. I have also used information from Knowledge Base
article 306158, INFO: Implementing Impersonation in an ASP.NET Application
to create a procedure to perform impersonation.

When I try to execute the DTS Package from ASP.NET, I get the following
error:

Step 'DTSStep_DTSTransferObjectsTask_1' failed

Step Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package
Step Error Description:Access is denied.
(Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package (80070005): Access is
denied.)
(Microsoft SQL-DMO (80004005): [SQL-DMO]CreateFile error on
'IFSERVER.RCIA.LOG'. Access is denied.)
Step Error code: 80070005

But when I call the same steps from a Windows Form application, the DTS
Package executes and there is no error.

I run IIS on an Active Directory Domain Controller, so I have setup a Domain
account called ASPUSER and set this account up as recommended in Knowledge
Base article 315158, FIX: ASP.NET Does Not Work with the Default ASPNET
Account on a Domain Controller.

When I have run the Windows Form application to successfully execute the DTS
Package, I have been logged on using my Domain Administrator account and I
have impersonated the ASPUSER Domain account. Both of these approaches
worked with no errors and the DTS Package executed successfully.

I have run the ASP.NET application using the ASPUSER Domain account and I
have impersonated the Domain Administrator account and both of these
approached have resulted in the error shown above.

The ASP.NET error is encountered whether I turn logging on or off in the DTS
Package.

This behavior leads me to think the aspnet_wp.exe program is being treated
differently than my Windows Form application, but I cannot find a way to
change the settings in a way that let's me successfully execute the DTS
Package.

If anyone has suggestions about what I can do to resolve this problem, I
would greatly appreciate the help.

Dean

Natty Gur

Hi,

You are in the right direction. ASP.NET default user has limited rights
and he can’t activate other processes. You need to change the asp.net
user to one with right permissions. Just to prove my point use the
identity tag with user name and password of administrator JUST TO CHECK
AND THEN TO REMOVE!!! . I successfully run DTS this way, but I’m in
internal close intranet environment where the users aren’t threat to the
system.

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377