    Of course writing code for a remote box might be difficult too with all the
    uploading and testing.

    Comments please.

    drhowarddrfinedrhoward, Feb 3, 2005

  2. drhowarddrfinedrhoward

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Howard:
    You can find good hosts for $10/m or less which will let you run ASP.Net
    (ie, they have IIS and support .Net (c#)) What you won't find, for any
    price, is a host which also packages VS.Net. This is a standalone product
    that you must purchase and run on your own computer. An alternative would
    be to use the free WebMatrix
    (http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=46)

    Typically the way it works is that developers work on their websites on
    their own machine. And then move the code to a server to publically host
    the site. To develop on your own machine you need;
    -IIS (free if you have Windows XP Pro or 2000) or free alternatives
    (Casini web server)
    -.Net Framework installed (free)
    -A developmet tool (optional), such as VS.net ($$$) or other (WebMatrix,
    free)

    You then build everything and typically FTP your code to your $10/m web
    host which will make the site public.

    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Thanks Karl. Very helpful.

    Where I get confused with site hosts is when you look under features they
    talk about allowing asp.net and server side scripting but nowhere does it
    say I can ran my own applications. Now this is for hosts that claim they
    have "developer" packages.

    Am I just looking in the wrong places?

    drhowarddrfinedrhoward, Feb 3, 2005
  4. drhowarddrfinedrhoward

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Probably not...I'm sure the host offers what you need, just using more
    marketing terminology...would have been helpful had you provided a link :)

    If you are only looking to learn and don't even want it to be available 24/7
    to the public, you probably don't even need a host, and can/should do it all
    from your own machine.

    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Yes, to learn but the idea is to create a site that is usable by relation
    that has a company that would like to sell items online.

    drhowarddrfinedrhoward, Feb 3, 2005
  6. drhowarddrfinedrhoward

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Well, for now I'm suggest you do it all on your own computer, and when your
    ready to have an actual site, you can easily find a good affordable host
    :)...by then you'll know what ur looking for as well.

    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Feb 3, 2005
  7. What do you think about learning on Apache? (not asp.net).

    So far, for developing, it seems .net means quicker but it costs vs. apache
    slower/harder to dev but free. Otherwise you can do the same on both.
    Would you agree?

    drhowarddrfinedrhoward, Feb 3, 2005
  8. drhowarddrfinedrhoward

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Apache can't be compared to ASP.Net...apache is a web server, not a
    programming framework.. You don't program apache you just run your code on
    it. Using apache you could program in PHP, JSP or Perl (and countless
    others), which is the right comparison to ASP.Net.

    As far as learning. Do you have windows XP pro or 2000? if so you have
    everything you need that costs money. IIS is free and comes with them. The
    ..Net framework is a free download, and there are numerous tools, such as
    WebMatrix which are free. That's all you need. Even if you don't have XP
    pro or 2000, WebMatrix has a built-in web server (Free) that you can use for
    other/older windows operating systems.

    Not to sound like an ass, but I wouldnt' agree with anything you said in
    this last post ;) While i love .net, I wouldn't necessarily call it
    quicker/faster ...and I wouldn't call php/jsp/perl slower harder or
    cheaper. They are all pretty comparable....they do have their strength and
    weaknesses. ASP.Net and JSP are both pretty damn powerful....I think
    ASP.Net is a riot to program in and suggest you try it...like I said, it
    shouldn't cost you anything...

    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Feb 3, 2005
  9. I meant .net was slower :)

    Anyway, thanks for all the comments Karl. I should be all set then for
    ..net.

    drhowarddrfinedrhoward, Feb 3, 2005
  10. drhowarddrfinedrhoward

    Matt Berther Guest

    Hello drhowarddrfinedrhoward,

    CrystalTech [1] has developer shared hosting which are "the perfect staging
    area for your development and test sites. Once the site is fully tested and
    ready to 'Go Live'", they have tools in place to move the site into a standard
    shared hosting plans.

    The developer shared hosting runs $2.95/month.

    [1] http://www.crystaltech.com/developershared.htm

    Matt Berther, Feb 8, 2005