Is there an up down arrow for html?

dungping

There are two symbols of 'left right arrow' for html page. They are
harr; and hArr;.

I wonder if there is an 'up down arrow' for html. I need it for my
page.

Thanks.
dungping

Leif K-Brooks

dungping said:
There are two symbols of 'left right arrow' for html page. They are
harr; and hArr;.

I wonder if there is an 'up down arrow' for html. I need it for my
page.

↕ and ⇕.

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Leif K-Brooks scraped:
↕ and ⇕.

Those are arrows that point up *or* down, not one that point up *and*
down at the same time.

Leif K-Brooks

Dylan said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Leif K-Brooks scraped:

Those are arrows that point up *or* down, not one that point up *and*
down at the same time.

They appear to be pointing both up and down to me.

dungping

I tried both. ↕ is an up and down arrow, and exactly what I
needed. But ⇕ doesn't display. Probably an instruction needs to
be written into the header area, to display it. But I've already got
what I wanted.

Thanks a lot for help.

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Kim André Akerø scraped:
Do you have a compability chart for these entities for Safari (Mac) as
well?

Unfortunately not. I haven't updated those pages in such a long time
now, but you can rest assured that at least the first 5 characters will
work fine in Safari. I keep meaning to getting around to updating those
charts, but its finding the time... :\

Jukka K. Korpela

dungping said:
I tried both.

Huh? Country _and_ Western? Or up and down? Please learn to quote what you
comment on. (See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/ for pointers.)
↕ is an up and down arrow,

It is "up down arrow", by the official name.
and exactly what I needed.
Perhaps.

But ⇕ doesn't display.

It still _is_ "up down double arrow". Whether you see it depends on many
things, such as the font(s) in use, and browser. Does this ring a bell as
regards to ↕?

There are lots of arrow characters in Unicode, see
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/arrows.html
And you can, in principle, use any of them in HTML. Contrary to popular
superstition, you are not limited to those that have entity names like
↔ (which are of rather little use in practice). What matters is how
well browsers display different characters. ↕ is _relatively_ safe,
since it belongs to the Windows Glyph List, so common fonts on Windows
systems usually contain it. But it's still an unnecessary risk, unless you
really gain something by using that character, as opposite to an image.
Probably an instruction needs to
be written into the header area, to display it.

No. This is much more complicated than you think. _If_ you wish to use a
fancy arrow _character_, start reading e.g.
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/chars.var
But I've already got what I wanted.

I'm afraid you haven't understood the issue. Neither have we, since we
don't even know what the original problem (which the up down arrow
character is supposed to solve) is. Thus we cannot estimate how much it
matters that 42 %, or some other number, of visitors will see just a small
rectangle or a question mark, or something. The odds are that it would be
much more appropriate to use a small image, with a decent alt text that
expresses the intended message (roughly, what you would say if you read
your page over the phone).