is there any transform_if algorithm?

baibaichen

hi, i need to implement several functions which are similar with
transform, but just oprerate on the elements that match some condition,
i have wirtten one by myself:

template<class In,class Out,class Pred class Op>
Out transform_if(In first,In last,Out res,Pred p,Op op)
{
while(first!=last){
if (p(*first))
*res = op(*first);
++first;++res;
}
return res;
}

but it is something subtle:

1). if the prediction return false? does output iterator increase?
2). how about exception safe?
3). efficiency problem, if we can predict the input will match the
codition, then we have gotten the information that functor will do.

my question is there any better way?

Cy Edmunds

baibaichen said:
[...]

I'm not sure what your function could do that can't be done with
std::transform. Consider:

class func
{
public:
int operator () (int xj, int yj) const
{
if (xj == 2)
return yj; // don't change the output value
else
return 2 * xj; // change the output value
}
};

std::transform(x, x+3, y, y, func());

does the same thing as:

class pred
{
public:
bool operator () (int xj) const {return xj != 2;}
};

class op
{
public:
int operator () (int xj) const {return 2 * xj;}
};

template<class In,class Out,class Pred, class Op>
Out transform_if(In first,In last,Out res,Pred p,Op op)
{
while(first!=last){
if (p(*first))
*res = op(*first);
++first;++res;
}
return res;
}

transform_if(x, x+3, y, pred(), op());

The trick is to send the output stream to the functor along with the input
stream.

baibaichen

no, it is TOTALly different when the Out template parameter is just
output iterator,i.e. the insert_iterator and ostream_iterator, their
oprerator++ do nothing!!

here is "it is something subtle" in my previous post,i.e. if the
prediction return false, does i need increase outpout iterator? it is
diffcult to answser, consider:
1. if the output equal input, i.e. i write back to input iterator, i
need increase
2. if output is a real iterator, such as a vector.begin() and that
vector has enough space, i can not increase.
3. if the ouput is something like insert_iterator or ostream_iterator,
i do not care..

the better way what i can image is the input template parameter is
something like filter iterator, so we do not need tramsform_if, but i
can not find any useful inforamtion about it.

Augusto KhaoticMind da Silva

baibaichen said:
[...]

Dunno if this will help you, but you can implement the transform_if in
terms of remove_copy_if and for_each (or transform).
Maybe this is the reason why there is no transform_if.

Michiel.Salters

baibaichen said:
hi, i need to implement several functions which are similar with
transform, but just oprerate on the elements that match some condition,

Check the VTL. It's a view library, and one of the components offers
a filtered view over a collection. If you use that view as an input to
transform,
you're done. Another solution is to use an iterator wrapper around your
output iterator that applies the transformation. Do both, and you can
even
use std::copy()

HTH,
Michiel Salters

Neil Cerutti

no, it is TOTALly different when the Out template parameter is
just output iterator,i.e. the insert_iterator and
ostream_iterator, their oprerator++ do nothing!!

That need not concern you. Algorithm transform will do the right
thing. As long as the algorithm you're using accepts the type of
iterator you pass in, all will be well.

Augusto KhaoticMind da Silva

baibaichen said:
really? could u write more details?

thanks

Supposing "p" is the predicate you want the elements to fulfill and
"op" the operation you want to apply, you can write something like:

remove_copy_if(iter1.begin(), iter1.end(), iter2.begin(), not1(op));
transform(iter2.begin(), iter2.end(), iter2.begin(), p);

The remove_copy_if will remove all elements from iter1 that do not
match your predicate and copy them to iter2 (i.e., it will copy all
elements that DO match your predicate).
After that just execute transform on iter2 copying it to itself (hence
why i said it maybe might be better to use for_each).