Is there any way to make this look good.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by mike, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I am having a problem.
    I just hope that it isn't a big problem.
    I am currently designing a site at http://www.lmc-limited.com/test/
    and I am struggling with an overflow problem.

    IE 6 works fine.
    Opera 6.05 does not display the <div style="overflow: scroll;>
    But I can live with that
    Mozilla 1.3a works fine
    Netscape 7.1 works fine

    My main problem is that when viewed on a macintosh some content acts
    like it has no boundaries. Particularly the middle column.

    Anyone have any ideas?
    My clients (The Delphos Herald Inc.) have all Macintosh computers in
    their building.

    Please someone tell me I havn't wasted my time designing and testing
    this site.
    Someone tell me I don't have to start a month's worth of work over!
    PLEASE!!!!!
    For users that view this site on a Macintosh (IMAC or whatever) I am
    very interested to hear what you have to say.
    Everyone else let me know what you think anyways. :)

    Thanks,

    Mike

    mike, Aug 6, 2003

  2. mike

    Sean Guest

    (mike) wrote in

    looked at it in 3 browsers on OS X

    looks well behaved in Safari 1.0

    many problems in IE 5.2

    Mozilla 1.4 - looks well behaved..

    I dunno, for a news site I would probably emulate sites like cnn.com and
    globeandmail.com and make the whole page scrolling (easier to read)
    rather than have embedded overflow sections. Probably makes for easier
    cross browser coding as well. At a glance looks like you have box model
    difference issues among other things.

    Sean, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Try to validate your page. You will see that many, many things are
    problematic. First your page has no DOCTYPE. Start there, and decide if
    you are using HTML, or XHTML, and what version.

    Then validate it in
    http://validator.w3.org
    and decide by yourself what you want to modify.

    Then, when I see long lines of "&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" I become
    suspicious, because the desired effect can probably be obtained in a
    much cleaner manner.

    The style instructions look to me very erratic, sometimes
    font : "MS Serif", "New York", serif;
    sometimes without commas:
    font : "@Arial Unicode MS" serif monospace;
    and AFAIK the basic instruction should be font-family:
    not just font:

    In any case, the font is mostly Times when I look at your page with NN
    7, and mostly sans-serif (my default) when I look at it with Safari.

    One can also wonder what something like
    is trying to achieve...

    Finally, the page is too busy for me, and I would wish the navigation to
    be concentrated somewhere, not left, top and right. But this of course
    is a matter of taste...

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_de_Dardel?=, Aug 7, 2003
  4. mike

    mike Guest

    The reason the page has no DOCTYPE is because as soon as I put one in
    my javascript navigation disapears. But I just tried putting it back
    in and it works now! This used to happen no matter what DOCTYPE I
    specify.
    The &nbsp; is used to move the browser branding at the top all the way
    to the right. As for the onload = ""- is generated from my template
    that I created in php. I optimized this with an if ($onload != "")
    statement so that will not show up again. Thanks for your input
    everyone!

    mike, Aug 9, 2003