Is using showmodaldialog bad practice?

jm

I have a site that relies heavily upon the showmodaldialog method. Is
that bad practice? Do most people NOT use the modal dialog box? What
do others do when they need to send values back and forth and not get
the windows "mixed up" by the user having them minimized, etc?

Thanks.

Martin Honnen

jm said:
I have a site that relies heavily upon the showmodaldialog method. Is
that bad practice? Do most people NOT use the modal dialog box? What
do others do when they need to send values back and forth and not get
the windows "mixed up" by the user having them minimized, etc?

showModalDialog is only supported by IE so that is certainly not a
feature you should rely on if you build pages for the Web in general. If
you have an intranet with IE users it might be fine.

kaeli

john_20_28 said:
I have a site that relies heavily upon the showmodaldialog method. Is
that bad practice?

If you'd like your stuff to be used in any other browser besides IE,
yeah. No other browser implements it.
Do most people NOT use the modal dialog box? What
do others do when they need to send values back and forth and not get
the windows "mixed up" by the user having them minimized, etc?

We don't. At least I don't. I code so it isn't an issue.
Search the archives. This question has come up often enough.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&q=javascript+modal+window&btnG=Google+Search