J2ME HTTP Network Connections

genghisken

Hi Folks

I'm sure that this is a subject that has been covered elsewhere, but
I'm trying to get a J2ME application to connect to my server via HTTP
(and HTTPS) and have the following questions:

The application only works with GPRS, not GSM (CSD). This severely
limits my application audience. Is Java able to use GSM at all? Why
should it need to be aware of the data bearer?

The application only works on some phones even with GPRS correctly
setup. Opera's MIDP Network Tester seems to work OK. Are there any
FAQs that point to good practice when making HTTP connections?

Thanks in advance,

GK

Darryl L. Pierce

genghisken said:
I'm sure that this is a subject that has been covered elsewhere, but
I'm trying to get a J2ME application to connect to my server via HTTP
(and HTTPS) and have the following questions:

The application only works with GPRS, not GSM (CSD). This severely
limits my application audience. Is Java able to use GSM at all? Why
should it need to be aware of the data bearer?

The KVM is completely agnostic as to what the underlying network technology
is being used by the handset. That's why the MIDP only requires HTTP be
made available: it's application level and not network level.