    Is there any java api to read barcodes from a pdf document ? Please let
    me know.

    Thanks

    Craig, Jan 11, 2007
    paulabc likes this.

  2. Craig wrote:
    (Please let me know) What search terms did you use?

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 11, 2007

  3. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Hello Andrew,

    I tried the following keywords to search

    --> Barcode reader java
    --> Barcode recognition java

    Am I missing something ? Please let me know.

    Thanks

    Craig, Jan 11, 2007
  4. Craig

    Oliver Wong Guest

    I tried "Barcode reader java", the exact same term as you did, and the
    first hit was http://www.tasman.co.uk/

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Craig

    Chris Uppal Guest

    But how do you get the contents of your PDF file into a java.awt.Image ?

    I suspect that it might be doubly difficult to get barcodes out of PDF files
    since there are at least three intrinsically different ways they could be
    encoded therein (as text in a barcode font, as raw graphics instructions, or as
    embedded images). Of course, the OP may know something about the PDF files
    that would narrow those possibilities.

    Maybe the thing to do would be to use some PDF renderer (probably not written
    in Java) to generate TIFF, or whatever, graphics files, and then use an
    off-the-shelf barcode reader package such as the one you mention to read that.
    Alternatively, the images might be embedded in the PDF in a way that the data
    could be extracted more directly. It all depends on the PDF and how it is
    generated...

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Jan 11, 2007
  6. Craig