Java API to read barcodes

Andrew Thompson

Craig wrote:
Is there any java api to read barcodes from a pdf document ? Please let
me know.

(Please let me know) What search terms did you use?

Andrew T.

Craig

Hello Andrew,

I tried the following keywords to search

--> Barcode reader java
--> Barcode recognition java

Am I missing something ? Please let me know.

Thanks

Oliver Wong

Craig said:
Hello Andrew,

I tried the following keywords to search

--> Barcode reader java
--> Barcode recognition java

Am I missing something ? Please let me know.

I tried "Barcode reader java", the exact same term as you did, and the
first hit was http://www.tasman.co.uk/

- Oliver

Chris Uppal

Oliver said:
I tried "Barcode reader java", the exact same term as you did, and the
first hit was http://www.tasman.co.uk/

But how do you get the contents of your PDF file into a java.awt.Image ?

I suspect that it might be doubly difficult to get barcodes out of PDF files
since there are at least three intrinsically different ways they could be
encoded therein (as text in a barcode font, as raw graphics instructions, or as
embedded images). Of course, the OP may know something about the PDF files
that would narrow those possibilities.

Maybe the thing to do would be to use some PDF renderer (probably not written
in Java) to generate TIFF, or whatever, graphics files, and then use an
off-the-shelf barcode reader package such as the one you mention to read that.
Alternatively, the images might be embedded in the PDF in a way that the data
could be extracted more directly. It all depends on the PDF and how it is
generated...

-- chris