    these apps

    Thanks and Regards,
    Dhairyashil Padalkar

    crack_cs, Apr 26, 2006

  2. crack_cs

    Oliver Wong Guest

    The acronym "API" stands for Application Programming Interface, and so a
    Java API is just something (an "interface", but not in the sense of the Java
    keyword) that your Java program can talk to. So for example, if someone uses
    the C programming language to writes a library to handle MP3 decoding, but
    then wants to make the functionality of that library available to Java
    programmers, that person might release a Java API which uses JNI to
    translate the method calls to something the C code understands.

    Sometimes people use the term to mean documentation for the API (e.g.
    the stuff generated by the "Javadoc" tool). When a someone provides you with
    a library, they almost always provide you with the documentation for that
    library.

    So if I take your question literally, I'd have to say that PeopleSoft is
    not an app, but a company. If they release apps, they may on a case by case
    basis decide to release APIs for those apps, or maybe they won't. If they
    initially choose not to, it's conceivable that a third party may approach
    them and request permission to create an API for their products, but I think
    this is rarely down for commercial products (though it's somewhat common in
    open source products).
    Assuming the application is written in Java, you could use reflection to
    accomplish some of the above.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Apr 26, 2006

  3. crack_cs

    ducnbyu Guest

    1) Yes PeopleSoft provides a Java API. I'm sure you have to license
    PeopleSoft to use it. If you already have access to a PeopleSoft
    installation then you will be able to search for Java in PeopleBooks
    and find what you need.

    2) "dynamic info" is a very general term you could mean almost
    anything.

    If you are not already a PeopleSoft customer, search the web in your
    favorite search engine for "Java PeopleSoft" there's tons.

    This one looks like an interesting place to start. You have to
    register on the site so I didn't go so far as to read the paper...

    http://whitepapers.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?promo=50002&docid=119100

    Overview: Java is an extremely popular programming language today,
    especially for internet applications. Many PeopleSoft customers have
    invested heavily in building Java skills within their IT organization
    and would like to leverage this investment within their PeopleSoft
    environment. With PeopleSoft 8, developers can definitely leverage
    their Java skills with PeopleSoft applications. With PeopleTools 8,
    PeopleSoft has added support in several key areas to enable developers
    to create Java-based PeopleSoft applications. This white paper provides
    an overview and examples of how PeopleSoft customers can develop
    applications in Java within the PeopleTools Development Environment of
    PeopleSoft 8.

    ducnbyu, Apr 27, 2006