java as a systems administration/systems programming language?

Mike

I'm still trying to figure out what for my environment is
the best way to manage and converge my server configurations
into something that looks and acts the same. Originally I
had been thinking the typical rdist, then I moved to cfengine,
now I'm thinking about writing something that is similiar
to cfengine in java, then distribute the j2sdk to all my boxes.
There would be a shell script under cron that makes sure
cvs is installed, the 'cvs checkout' the configuration tree
(which would containe the java stuff), compile the java as
needed (make), then execute to test and update the server
configuration as necessary. Finally update /ChangeLog when
complete.

Thoughts?

Mike

Thomas Weidenfeller

Mike said:
I'm still trying to figure out what for my environment

We don't know your environment. I suggest you spend a few words on
explaining it to us. Also you might want to explain to us why you want
to do what, and what your goals are.

/Thomas

Mike

We don't know your environment. I suggest you spend a few words on
explaining it to us. Also you might want to explain to us why you want
to do what, and what your goals are.

/Thomas

Mixed AIX, Windows, and mainframe, though I'm primarily focusing
on AIX. I'm working towards something like, but not, cfengine
and IBM's Autonomic Computing. Checking filesystems, permissions,
network settings, disabling services, updating utilities and
applications, verifying backups, etc.

Mike