java code compression

Blah Blah

i'm writing an applet which is growing a little out of control, and i'm
trying to cut down on the size of the final applet without reducing
functionality. is there a way to strip all excess symbols out of the applet
at compile time, or munge the internal names so that they're shorter?
coming from a C++ background, i have all of these nice, long explanatory
names for my constants - which end up taking an absurd amount of space.

any help would be appreciated!

daniel

Marko Lahma

You can use java byte (source) code obfuscator. They remove all
unnecessary code and obfuscate the variable names to short ones which
also make undestanding of decompiled code a bit harder. Sideproduct is
smaller byte code size.

for example see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/retroguard.html

Cheers,
Marko

Roedy Green

i'm writing an applet which is growing a little out of control, and i'm
trying to cut down on the size of the final applet without reducing
functionality. is there a way to strip all excess symbols out of the applet
at compile time, or munge the internal names so that they're shorter?
coming from a C++ background, i have all of these nice, long explanatory
names for my constants - which end up taking an absurd amount of space.

You can do obfuscation which will prune it somewhat.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/obfuscator.html