Java Faster Than C ?

Martin Gregorie

The programmers with a formal IT education should have heard about
Knuth.
That lets me off the hook, then.

When I was at university Computer Science hadn't been invented and the
University's one student-accessible computer (an Ellott 503, later joined
by a much slower IBM 1130) belonged to the Applied Maths Dept.

Arne Vajhøj

Martin said:
That lets me off the hook, then.

When I was at university Computer Science hadn't been invented and the
University's one student-accessible computer (an Ellott 503, later joined
by a much slower IBM 1130) belonged to the Applied Maths Dept.

Well - Knuth got all his degrees in mathematics as well ...

Arne

blmblm

[ snip ]
Well, to be honest, how many programmers have ever heard of Knuth, let alone
know what he's done, and let alone read his books? I became aware of the guy
early in my career because I used TeX/LaTeX (itself quite rare), and later I
bought the 3-volume set of TAoCP (and how many developers have done that?).
Hell, I've even read parts of those books. :)

:) indeed.

Anecdote, possibly apocryphal, half-remembered from some Usenet
discussion sometime:

Techie meets the estimable Professor Knuth in a social setting.
Techie, much impressed, is able to stammer out something about
having Knuth's books on his bookshelf. DEK replies to the effect
that many people tell him that, but it would be even better if
more of them had actually read them.

"FWIW"?