    I think that this general graphic roughness (fonts and everything
    else) is one of the reason of the limited success of Java.

    Negopus

    negopus, May 19, 2004

  2. negopus

    shay Guest

    Are you talking about the fonts of JDeveloper itself or of the end
    application.
    In JDeveloper you can change the fonts in the editor through the
    tools->preferences->code editor menu option.

    Oh, and you might want to try out the newer JDeveloper 10g - get it at
    http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev

    shay, May 20, 2004

  3. negopus

    negopus Guest

    I am talking about both of them. I either case, the "distinctive"
    appearence of Java is rather ugly. Demotivating, if you are not forced
    to use it for any reason.
    I already did so, but I cannot choose the higly-readable fonts one can
    download from http://www.procon.com.au/Fonts.htm.
    Of course I would. But for the current project I have to stick to
    9.0.1.

    negopus

    negopus, May 20, 2004
  4. negopus

    Roedy Green Guest

    Those are raster fonts that come in only a few sizes. What would Java
    do if you tried to use them like scaleable fonts?

    Ideally these should be a way of packaging such fonts as scaleable
    fonts for large sizes that revert to raster for a few magic sizes.
    And not telling Java about it.

    Roedy Green, May 20, 2004
  5. negopus

    negopus Guest

    What would Java do? I don't know.
    Do you know a way to achieve this? Do I need a font editor?

    negopus

    negopus, May 21, 2004
  6. negopus

    Roedy Green Guest

    I know that PostScript, TTF and OpenFont have "hints" to help render
    small font sizes. I don't think this goes quite as far as providing
    direct raster fonts for some magic sizes.

    Creating fonts is much more difficult than it looks.

    I think your best bet is to just find a font that looks good in small
    point sizes that is scaleable.

    If you had the bucks, you could even get one custom made by a font
    foundry.

    On font you might find interesting is Tiresias. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/tiresias.html which is designed for the
    visually impaired. The PCFont version, which I don't have, might work
    at small point sizes for legibility.

    However, you want a fixed pitch font.

    Roedy Green, May 21, 2004