java script for "post a comment "

terrible.theterrible4

Hello w3c,php, fedora + apache experts!

Is there code I can use for POST A COMMENT?
I am not ready for PHP yet. Anybody did it in JS?

Gregor Kofler

(e-mail address removed) meinte:
Hello w3c,php, fedora + apache experts!

Is there code I can use for POST A COMMENT?
I am not ready for PHP yet. Anybody did it in JS?

If we talk about "JavaScript in the browser" - no one sane.

Gregor

terrible.theterrible4

JavaScript is client-side only in the vast majority of cases. Where do you
intend to store these comments?

I thought to html-print it right under the submission field.I didn't
plan on storing entries.
So whereare Me going now?

terrible.theterrible4

can it be just a form function that on submit will display text after
<script type="text/javascript">
function document.write("<br>");
meaning write everything that comes after <break>

Mike Duffy

If you have nothing to say Say nothing

What he means is that 'document.write("<br>");' does not mean to write
everything that comes after <break>.

In your example there is nothing after the <br> anyways. What your example
will do is just put out a blank line. Is that what you wanted? I did not
see your original message.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Mike Duffy wrote said:
What he means is that 'document.write("<br>");' does not mean to write
everything that comes after <break>.

I do not think this is what he means at all, but instead that the above code
is as invalid as your sender address.

PointedEars

Mike Duffy

I do not think this is what he means at all, but instead that the
above code is as invalid as your sender address.

1) You are no doubt correct. I was trying to see what the OP wanted without
bothering to do a web search to find the original post.

2) I assume that you realize I am hiding my address from spammers. Are you
of the opinion that we should always put it in human-only readable form,
such as:

mduffyAvideotron.ca (Replace the obvious with the obvious.) My ISP recently
dropped its NNPT service. My use of aioe is not because I want to hide.

Mike Duffy

... The spam's not as bad as you would expect.
... why should I use a fake address?

My experience is that it will always get worse & worse until you are forced
to change it (and send out a change notice to all your contacts, etc.)

To maximize the time between these events, you need to minimize the
exposure of your address.

Is it considered "okay" just to put a link to a personal website as a
signature? I have a human-readable .GIF email address at the bottom of my
homepage. Or is that more bother than de-obfuscating "mduffyAvideotron.ca"?

Michael Wojcik

Mike said:
My experience is that it will always get worse & worse until you are forced
to change it (and send out a change notice to all your contacts, etc.)

I've been posting - prolifically, in some years - to Usenet since
1991, using non-obfuscated email addresses. I use those same addresses
on numerous email lists, many of which have open archives.

Those accounts don't receive a bothersome amount of spam, and what
they do receive is almost entirely caught by Thunderbird's Bayesian
filter, which I trained implicitly (ie, by marking the occasional spam
message as spam until the rate of false negatives dropped close to
zero). I haven't had the filter return a false positive in months or
years - it happens so rarely that I only check the junk messages once
a week or so.

Obfuscation is bothersome, and many people find it rude. Filtering is
the graceful solution; it lets the owner of the account assume a small
burden, rather than putting a more tiresome one on correspondents.

Dr J R Stockton

Tue said:
Obfuscation is bothersome, and many people find it rude. Filtering is
the graceful solution; it lets the owner of the account assume a small
burden, rather than putting a more tiresome one on correspondents.

There are may different types of mail-reading systems, ranging from such
as a self-programmable UNIX box which is an Internet host with a dotted
quad of its own to a simple Web mail account.

Very little of the available advice is universally applicable.

The only universal example that comes immediately to mind is "do not
publish, in a directly readable form, anything looking like E-mail
address that you do not have permission to use.". (Much spam is still
aimed at full or Turnpike message-IDs recognisably from before
2004-01-10 13:37:04 UTC = UNIX time_t $40000000; a Tm-ID left part,
though compliant with Mail RFCs, is a very unlikely E-mail address left
part).

ASIDE : One should be careful to reply to the Reply-To address and not
to the From address (though possibly to the sender address).