Java SE and Java EE

markspace

Why is Java divided into SE and EE?

Why not have just one Java?

Java EE has a bunch of libraries for web development that you really
wouldn't want in a plain desktop or applet environment.

I mean, seriously, have you SEEN the Java EE spec? It's pretty insane.

Also, now adays, there's even more Javas than just Java SE and Java EE.
Java SE now has three different profiles for embedded devices, because
somebody still thinks they can beat Android. (Good luck.)

https://blogs.oracle.com/jtc/entry/a_first_look_at_compact

Qu0ll

"markspace" wrote in message
Also, now adays, there's even more Javas than just Java SE and Java EE.
Java SE now has three different profiles for embedded devices, because
somebody still thinks they can beat Android. (Good luck.)

Nothing to do with Android per se: it's all about IoT and Oracle trying to
position Java ME as the software platform for all connected devices (many of
which do not run Android).

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Joerg Meier

Why is Java divided into SE and EE?
Why not have just one Java?

JavaSE and JavaEE are structurally different - JavaSE allows you to compile
and then run Java code. JavaEE is a set of APIs, which allow you to compile
code, but not to run it without including some (often third party) library
that implements that API.

One of the reasons for the division is no doubt that when I see a class in
JavaSE, I know I can use it without having to worry about needing some
additional library at runtime.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

markspace

"markspace" wrote in message

Nothing to do with Android per se: it's all about IoT and Oracle trying
to position Java ME as the software platform for all connected devices
(many of which do not run Android).

Hmm, true. Although I see all of the "small embedded" markets as
essentially similar. If Oracle can make in-roads in devices even
smaller than Android, perhaps Oracle can then leverage their way into
larger devices. I think that's going to be difficult however.

I'm honestly at a loss how they expect to make money on compact
profiles, either now or later. I see compact profiles as gee-whiz
capability with no business plan. Google takes a cut of app sales on
Android -- that's a pretty solid business plan. Where's Oracle's
equivalent on smaller devices?

Arne Vajhøj

Hmm, true. Although I see all of the "small embedded" markets as
essentially similar. If Oracle can make in-roads in devices even
smaller than Android, perhaps Oracle can then leverage their way into
larger devices. I think that's going to be difficult however.

I'm honestly at a loss how they expect to make money on compact
profiles, either now or later. I see compact profiles as gee-whiz
capability with no business plan. Google takes a cut of app sales on
Android -- that's a pretty solid business plan. Where's Oracle's
equivalent on smaller devices?

Traditionally companies has paid a small license fee per device
for Java ME.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Why is Java divided into SE and EE?

Why not have just one Java?

It is way more than two.

Java ME
CLDC
MIDP
IMP
CDC/embedded
Java SE embedded
Java SE
Java EE
Web profile
Full profile

And they certainly share a lot. But there are some different
libraries available. Which should not be that surprising
given that the contexts are so different.

..NET is also split up in various flavors:

..NET CF
SilverLight
..NET client profile
..NET full profile
..NET for Windows store
..NET for Windows Phone

depending on the contexts they are used.

Arne

markspace

Traditionally companies has paid a small license fee per device
for Java ME.

I'm not sure I would. C compilers are free. But maybe the small
embedded market is a different place these days.

Arne Vajhøj

For the small devices I've used or looked at closely (Parallax STAMP and
PICAXE, both programmed in BASIC) the compilers, debuggers and loaders
have been free commercial software. Same goes for the RaspberryPi except
that OS, compilers and utilities are free of course - its OS is a Debian
Linux fork.

I believe the tool chain for Java ME is free as well.

The license is for the runtime environment.

$0.71 per device for smallest CPU's (many ARM), $2.78 per
device for bigger CPU's (Atom, ARM Cortex), $36 per
device (PC CPU).

At least that is how I read:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/price-lists/java-embedded-price-list-1977272.pdf

I suggest reading that document carefully and consult a license
lawyer if you plan on actually using such a license.

There are free alternatives, but 71 cent per device for Java
with support from Oracle is probably peanuts combined with
other cost.

Arne