JavaScript Complier and Syntax Checker

Robert

I have begun coding some JavaScript as part of my HTML layout. Let me
know if you have any suggestions for a color code editor/complier,
which would help me sort out code misspelling and errors. Firefox,
Dreamweaver, HTML-Kit, and Textpad remain in my web development
arsenal. But I am unfamiliar with integrating these tools with
JavaScript and HTML. HTML part is easy; the JavaScript part is less
straightforward. Please provide any helpful tips and links to any
plug-ins or add-ons for JavaScript compiling.

SpaceGirl

Robert said:
I have begun coding some JavaScript as part of my HTML layout. Let me
know if you have any suggestions for a color code editor/complier,
which would help me sort out code misspelling and errors. Firefox,
Dreamweaver, HTML-Kit, and Textpad remain in my web development
arsenal. But I am unfamiliar with integrating these tools with
JavaScript and HTML. HTML part is easy; the JavaScript part is less
straightforward. Please provide any helpful tips and links to any
plug-ins or add-ons for JavaScript compiling.

Trial and error I guess... I dont know of any good tools for this other
than FireFox's javascript console and hand-coding in DreamWeaver and
then LOTS of testing in IE6/IE5.5/IE5.2(mac)/FireFox1.0/Opera

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Robert quothed:
I have begun coding some JavaScript as part of my HTML layout. Let me
know if you have any suggestions for a color code editor/complier,
which would help me sort out code misspelling and errors. Firefox,
Dreamweaver, HTML-Kit, and Textpad remain in my web development
arsenal. But I am unfamiliar with integrating these tools with
JavaScript and HTML. HTML part is easy; the JavaScript part is less
straightforward. Please provide any helpful tips and links to any
plug-ins or add-ons for JavaScript compiling.

According to some scholars, arsenal is the ancient Celtic word for
"asshole".

Be that as it may, try getting a good, code-intensive book on javascript.
I purchased "Pure Javascript" (-used, but barely) for $5.00 from
BarnesandNoble.com.

Randy Webb

neredbojias said:
Without quill or qualm, Robert quothed:

According to some scholars, arsenal is the ancient Celtic word for
"asshole".

Be that as it may, try getting a good, code-intensive book on javascript.
I purchased "Pure Javascript" (-used, but barely) for $5.00 from
BarnesandNoble.com.

At least its "barely" used but it was still a wasted 5 dollars.

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Randy Webb quothed:
At least its "barely" used but it was still a wasted 5 dollars.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. -Or cannot see. It
may not be the easiest book in the world, but if one is willing to do the
work, one can derive much that is useful from aforementioned tome.

Randy Webb

neredbojias said:
Without quill or qualm, Randy Webb quothed:

There are none so blind as those who will not see. -Or cannot see. It
may not be the easiest book in the world, but if one is willing to do the
work, one can derive much that is useful from aforementioned tome.

That is your opinion and you are welcome to it. But when the book is
"barely used", then it makes certain implications. Whether its seldom
used due to lack of time to use it or because of lack of *good*
information. If its lack of time, then I fail to see how someone that
lacks the time to read the book can say its a good book. And if its lack
of information, well, that speaks for itself.

Perhaps you would be interested in taking the time to read the c.l.j FAQ
and see what it has to say about books. The FAQ is not my own opinions,
I do not even maintain it. But it reflects the thoughts/opinions of many
who deal with JS on a daily basis and have at least checked the books out.

Jim Michaels

I've had a pretty good experience with Danny Goodman's JavaScript Bible (IDG
Books). $40.
very useful examples, goes into detail about methods, properties.
has a properties and methods diagram page (nice reference).

Dreamweaver color-syntax-highlights javascript, ASP, and PHP code. just put
it your code into the body or the head area: <script>document.write("Hello,
world");</script>. if you are looking for a debugger, internet explorer has
a decent visual script debugger available for it.