javascript error when loggin into forum

Richard Silverstein

I'm a member of a forum sponsored by jasc.com (
http://forums.jasc.com/ ) which uses Webboard software. I use Firefox
1.0 (final release) as my browser. When I used previous versions of
FF I had no problem logging into the forum. But with v. 1.0 I'm
getting a javascript error saying "You could not be logged in." When
I login from IE I don't have this problem.

I've posted in this forum & the Firefox forum asking whether others
have this problem & several FF users told me they don't have this
problem (though I don't know which versions they're using).

Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?

Martin Honnen

Richard said:
I'm a member of a forum sponsored by jasc.com (
http://forums.jasc.com/ ) which uses Webboard software. I use Firefox
1.0 (final release) as my browser. When I used previous versions of
FF I had no problem logging into the forum. But with v. 1.0 I'm
getting a javascript error saying "You could not be logged in." When
I login from IE I don't have this problem.

If it is really a JavaScript error then the error with line number is
displayed in the JavaScript console. Copy the error details from the
console and post them here.
But "You could not be logged in" doesn't sound like a script error at
all, that is probably simply a message the forum displays.

richards1052

Martin said:
If it is really a JavaScript error then the error with line number is
displayed in the JavaScript console. Copy the error details from the
console and post them here.
But "You could not be logged in" doesn't sound like a script error at
all, that is probably simply a message the forum displays.
Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

I just tried to login to the forum site again & received the same error
msg. I went to the js console & saw 2 error msgs. there. I'm not sure
whether these errors were related to this failed login or not. When I
tried to highlight the js errors I accidentally cleared them.
Returning to the forum & logging in again produced the error msg., but
this time when I open the js console I saw no error msgs. So perhaps
you're right & this is not a script error.

I wonder if more odd behavior may be related to problems opening js
links. I use Typepad blogging software. After a recent Firefox
upgrade to v. 1.0, I've noticed that many of my js links operate
differently (& worse). Before the upgrade, clicking on such links
would open a pop up box which enabled me to complete tasks like
deleting post & comments, uploading images, etc. ON completing the
task, the pop up window would close & I'd revert to the main edit post
box for my blog.

Now, when I click on such links an entirely new full window opens.
When I complete the task involving the window, the window remains open
& I do not revert to the main window.

I can't figure out what could be causing this. Perhaps something to do
with Firefox's tabbed browser function?

Martin Bialasinski

richards1052 said:
Before the upgrade, clicking on such links would open a pop up box
which enabled me to complete tasks like deleting post & comments,
uploading images, etc. ON completing the task, the pop up window
would close & I'd revert to the main edit post box for my blog.
Now, when I click on such links an entirely new full window opens.
When I complete the task involving the window, the window remains
open & I do not revert to the main window.

Looks like the Firefox Popup blocker is active. Unfortunately, it can
not discimate between pop-ups caused by clicking somewhere and
automatic pop-ups on e.g. page load.

Turn popups on in the firefox preferences and try again.

Nevertheless, in the full window version, the page could do a
self.close() on completion.

richards1052

don't think this could be the problem as I've added my blog editing url
to the list of allowed pop up sites (unless tthe allowed site list is
somehow being ignored).