Javascript function that makes an href uniform/consistent?

Robert Oschler

Is there a Javascript function, or library, that will take a URL and make it
uniform/consistent?

Something that will resolve all relative pathing and the current domain and
protocol and return a uniform URL? Like the realpath() function in PHP?

Thanks.

Grant Wagner

Is there a Javascript function, or library, that will take a URL and make it
uniform/consistent?

Something that will resolve all relative pathing and the current domain and
protocol and return a uniform URL? Like the realpath() function in PHP?

location.href and location.pathname seem to do that by default.

I get the same answer to alert(location.pathname) whether the path is:

http://server/path/to/file.html or
http://server/path/to/../../path/to/file.html

Tested browsers:
IE 6.0.2900
Firefox 1.0.6
Opera 7.54u2
Opera 8.02

Note that of the browsers listed above, only IE retains the original
(relative) path on the address bar. However, that may change in IE7,
where they are going to a global URL object which will (supposedly) be
used to provide a consistent, secure, validated URL to all components.