JComboBox width, dropdown list width

Xu

Hi i am wondering if there is a simple way to reduce a jcombobox visual
size (i want only to display the dropdown button).
When i use jcombobox.setPreferedSize(20,20); the drop down list is also
reduced width=20.. but i want that the dropdown list to be width
according to a item(string).

Andrew Thompson

Hi i am wondering if there is a simple way to reduce a jcombobox visual
size (i want only to display the dropdown button).
When i use jcombobox.setPreferedSize(20,20); the drop down list is also
reduced width=20.. but i want that the dropdown list to be width
according to a item(string).

Sounds more like a Menu you are after. Or at least that
is what the end user would probably prefer to a drop-down
list that looks or behaves in a way that is 'unusual'..

Xu

Andrew said:
Sounds more like a Menu you are after. Or at least that
is what the end user would probably prefer to a drop-down
list that looks or behaves in a way that is 'unusual'..
I am trying to create a JButton + JComboBox, i dont know how those
widget are called.. but you can find them in firefox or in internet
explorer.(Back and Forward Button's).

Andrew Thompson

..you can find them in firefox or in internet
explorer.(Back and Forward Button's).

Aha! Good point. Yes.. I not only see the type
of control you mean, but am so used to using it
I barely notice it. This pretty much blows my theory
of 'unusual' out of the water!

I'll wait to see what the GUI experts here on..
Wait a second.. You won't find the GUI experts here!
These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
their life depended on it. [ ;-) ]

I suggest you
a) put this question to comp.lang.java.gui
b) mention you had your time wasted by a c.l.j.programmer
(more to warn of/explain the multi-post)
c) Mention the FF/IE back button.
(A picture paints a thousand words!)

HTH

Xu

Andrew said:
..

..you can find them in firefox or in internet
explorer.(Back and Forward Button's).

Aha! Good point. Yes.. I not only see the type
of control you mean, but am so used to using it
I barely notice it. This pretty much blows my theory
of 'unusual' out of the water!

I'll wait to see what the GUI experts here on..
Wait a second.. You won't find the GUI experts here!
These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
their life depended on it. [ ;-) ]

I suggest you
a) put this question to comp.lang.java.gui
b) mention you had your time wasted by a c.l.j.programmer
(more to warn of/explain the multi-post)
c) Mention the FF/IE back button.
(A picture paints a thousand words!)

HTH
Ah ok.. tnx for your advise :)

Thomas G. Marshall

Andrew Thompson coughed up:
..you can find them in firefox or in internet
explorer.(Back and Forward Button's).

Aha! Good point. Yes.. I not only see the type
of control you mean, but am so used to using it
I barely notice it. This pretty much blows my theory
of 'unusual' out of the water!

I'll wait to see what the GUI experts here on..
Wait a second.. You won't find the GUI experts here!
These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
their life depended on it. [ ;-) ]

WHAT!!!???!!!!!

{author thumbs through ebay for a sniper rifle...}

Xu

Thomas said:
Andrew Thompson coughed up:
Andrew Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:41:35 +0200, Xu wrote:

[...]

Can i borrow your sniper rifle? :p

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson coughed up: ....
These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
their life depended on it. [ ;-) ]

WHAT!!!???!!!!!

{author thumbs through ebay for a sniper rifle...}

LOL! I must have said that at least two to thirty times on
separate threads hoping c.l.j.p.ers would get a chuckle[1] from it.

NOW they notice! SheEEesh...

[1] Other people (apparently) don't find it as funny as I do..

Xu

Andrew said:
Andrew Thompson coughed up:
These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
their life depended on it. [ ;-) ]

WHAT!!!???!!!!!

{author thumbs through ebay for a sniper rifle...}

LOL! I must have said that at least two to thirty times on
separate threads hoping c.l.j.p.ers would get a chuckle[1] from it.

NOW they notice! SheEEesh...

[1] Other people (apparently) don't find it as funny as I do..
Different people.. different humor.

Thomas G. Marshall

Xu coughed up:
Andrew said:
Andrew Thompson coughed up:

These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
their life depended on it. [ ;-) ]

WHAT!!!???!!!!!

{author thumbs through ebay for a sniper rifle...}

LOL! I must have said that at least two to thirty times on
separate threads hoping c.l.j.p.ers would get a chuckle[1] from it.

NOW they notice! SheEEesh...

[1] Other people (apparently) don't find it as funny as I do..
Different people.. different humor.

Yes, besides, I have to be careful with /my/ particular brand of humor. If
Andrew Thompson fails to show up for work in the next few days, the
police'll be at my door. /And/ if I were a murdering psychopath, I'd look
through usenet looking for statements like mine in the hopes of finding
someone to frame. Actually, if Andrew was feeling particularly evil, he
could fake his own death. Ah well.

Andrew Thompson

Actually, if Andrew was feeling particularly evil, he
could fake his own death.

I was about to make a 'flip' response to this referring back
to a post that I made in reply to one of yours, where *I*
mentioned a 'rifle'. Eerily I can 'find' the post in the
thread list at groups beta, but cannot seem to bring it up
on-screen.

<http://groups.google.com.au/group/c...r:thompson&rnum=2&hl=en&#doc_35aff8c46fdb4b64>

<spooky music>
It looks like the framing is proceeding well, but it
is not *ME* doing it.
</spooky music>

[ throws suspicious glance at a major search engine..

shHHHhh, it will *hear* you. ]

On a more serious (or factual) note, I was wonderring where
40% of my posts 'disapeared to' mid last year when groups
beta started. This post is the first actual evidence I have
that some of my posts are effectively unreachable through
the web inteface.