JDK 8 is there

Stefan Ram

Looks as if JDK 8 has just made it to the official download page.

There also is a

The Java® Language Specification
Java SE 8 Edition

readable in the Web.

Stefan Ram

There also is a
The Java® Language Specification
Java SE 8 Edition
readable in the Web.

This is possible one of the rare cases of a page that is in the Web,
but not in the G search engine. If you cannot find it with your search
engine, you can go to the SE 7 edition and then play with the URI.

Roedy Green

Looks as if JDK 8 has just made it to the official download page

I tried installing it. Then I typed:

[C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre8\bin]java.exe -version
java version "1.7.0_51"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

What the heck? Is it somehow grabbing 1.7 or did they bundle a 1.7 as
1.8?

Arne Vajhøj

Looks as if JDK 8 has just made it to the official download page

I tried installing it. Then I typed:

[C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre8\bin]java.exe -version
java version "1.7.0_51"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

What the heck? Is it somehow grabbing 1.7 or did they bundle a 1.7 as
1.8?

Something is seriously wrong here.

Not only:

jre8 vs 1.7.0_51

but also:

Program Files (x86) vs 64-Bit Server VM

Try and run the exe with full path.

Arne

Roedy Green

I tried installing it. Then I typed:

[C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre8\bin]java.exe -version
java version "1.7.0_51"

However javac.exe -version gives 1.8.0

Roedy Green

Make sure java.exe really is in the current folder (use dir). In
spite of the name, make sure you installed java 8 there and not
elsewhere. If so, it probably is a PATH issue. Try using a
pathname and see if you run ther correct JVM: .\java.exe -version

In times past you could have several different JVMs installed, and
when you said Java.exe it always used the one in the current
directory.

The JCP does not reflect all the JVMs installed. If you add them, it
soon tosses them out.

Arne Vajhøj

I've more or less given up trying to install several different versions
of Java in the same general location. The way I've found to use
different versions on the same machine is to install the required
version in local userspace.

I assume you by that mean under the users directory.

Usually user space has a different meaning in *nix.
I have only tried this on *nix based
systems, no idea if it's possible on Windows.

You can do similar on Windows.
This way you can configure your PATH, JAVA_HOME and anything else you
need in your account specific .bashrc or whatever.

I have various versions from 1.4 on installed in various different
accounts and all I have to do is log into the required account and away
you go. No conflicts, no surprises and no problems ... so far.

Does it really make a difference where the software is installed as
long as you have user specific config files?

Arne

Roedy Green

The Windows installer will sometimes copy java.exe from the
public JRE into C:\Windows. So, even if your PATH is set
correctly, unless the JRE\bin folder is near the front, the
system may still find an older java.exe left over from an
older install. (If you install the public JRE along with
the JDK, it should overwrite the old java.exe.)

To test this, open a command line window, and type:
where java

That was the usual problem in the olden days.

But today you can do :

cd E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin
java.exe -version

and it will STILL get the wrong Java.

I got around the problem by uninstalling all the JDKs, pruning files
and registry then installing just one of them. This also made IntelliJ
13.1 idea64.exe start working too.

I was under the delusion you needed a 32 bit JVM for the browser.
"A great lathe operator commands several times the wage of an average lathe
operator, but a great writer of software code is worth 10,000 times the
price of an average software writer."
~ Bill Gates

Knute Johnson

I was under the delusion you needed a 32 bit JVM for the browser.

I think you do. I'm using Win 8.1. I removed all of Java 7 and
installed 8 with no difficulties. I did install 32bit as well for
Firefox. It works more or less.

Arne Vajhøj

I think you do.

I very much doubt that.

I believe you need to use 32 bit Java with a 32 bit browser
and 64 bit Java with a 64 bit Java.

And this belief is just because most people use 32 bit browsers.

Arne