JNDI naming conventions?

Scott Balmos

Hi all,

I've been Googling around to get a general idea on this, with
conflicting success. I was wondering if anyone had any good resources
on naming conventions for their JNDI namespaces?

I've seen java:/comp/env/foo/bar/jdbc/??? for JDBC stuff, JBoss has
java:/Mail, java:/Queue/{a,b,c,...}, etc in their examples, etc. Far as
I know, nothing is actually "required" to be at a particular named
location in JNDI, thus the whole namespace is freeform. So what all do
you use? I've considered the following:

java:/ProductA/
/JMS
/Queue/{foo,bar,baz}
/Topic/{foo,bar,baz}
/JDBC
/databaseA, etc

separating the top-level by product. Also, the same, except separating
by physical provider (e.g. top level entries for JDBC, JMS, etc).

Any resources or weblinks to naming suggestions? Thanks!

--Scott