JSR-82

markspace

Does anyone actually use JSR-82, or is that pretty much gone with the
wind?

This is JME I assume? You should specify, most of the folks here run
Java on relatively large servers; JME doesn't intersect much with that
kind of programming.

Dunno specifically about JSR82, shouldn't the docs for your target
device(s) say what to use?

Arne Vajhøj

Does anyone actually use JSR-82, or is that pretty much gone with the wind?

I believe that it was approved, so it should be in all implementations
requiring it.

It even looks as if the spec is regularly updated, so it is not
forgotten.

Arne

Fredrik Jonson

bob said:
Does anyone actually use JSR-82, or is that pretty much gone with the wind?

I have used it extensively in several special purpose Java ME apps. It used to
be well supported by several manufacturers, Motorola, Nokia, Sony Ericsson,
amongst others. The api worked well, though each manufacturer had their own
idosyncrasities. My impression is that at least the above three manufacturers
where very much supportive of apps using the api.

Now, if you haven't lived under a rock the last couple of years, you must have
noticed that Android more or less has superseeded Java ME on the majority of
smartphones, and also is nibbling on the edges of the feature phone market too.
The Android SDK does not provide JSR-82, but has a public api for bluetooth
communication that is comparable for many use cases. Apple does not provide
JSR-82 on their phones either.

There might still be a market for Java ME in emerging markets. Not so sure that
the feature phones in those markets commonly support JSR-82 though, it is a JSR
that often is skipped for cost reasons on cheaper phones.

Anyone in this group that is developing mobile apps in a emering market or
somewhere elese where Iphone and Android hasn't completely eclipsed Java ME
yet?

Arne Vajhøj

Now, if you haven't lived under a rock the last couple of years, you must have
noticed that Android more or less has superseeded Java ME on the majority of
smartphones, and also is nibbling on the edges of the feature phone market too.
Anyone in this group that is developing mobile apps in a emering market or
somewhere elese where Iphone and Android hasn't completely eclipsed Java ME
yet?

That is a very good point.

Java ME future look pretty dark unless Oracle make a deal with Google
to make Android compatible with a new ME device configuration.

And I would not hold my breath until that happens.

Arne