learning to program

Rich

I downloaded the beginner package from the "Python" site, and would
like to know my next move.

Should I wade through the site, or are there some exorcises I can do
to get started in the process of learning how to program.
TIA,
Rich

Peter Hansen

Rich said:
I downloaded the beginner package from the "Python" site, and would
like to know my next move.

Should I wade through the site, or are there some exorcises I can do
to get started in the process of learning how to program.

First thing you can do is stop posting the question and wait for
the answers. Three times is more than enough...

Of course, most likely you aren't seeing any of the replies, in which
case you won't get this one either, and since you didn't include your
real mail address, we're stuck! :)

-Peter

Rich

First thing you can do is stop posting the question and wait for
the answers. Three times is more than enough...
This is the only post I am able to see, sorry about re posting. I
thought if I changed the subject heading I might be able to see the
post.
Of course, most likely you aren't seeing any of the replies, in which
case you won't get this one either, and since you didn't include your
real mail address, we're stuck! :)
I mugged my e-mail to block spam. Here is my e-mail
(e-mail address removed)
Rich

Rich

You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
as soon as they are indexed and on the web:
How long does it usually take to post on Google?

Rich

I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
ran into a problem.

During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
the tasks.

I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

I am using the Tutorial by Alan Gauld, and I am at the bottom of
simple sequences (left side of page).

Rich

I put this post in the wrong place first, that is why it is on here
twice

I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
ran into a problem.

During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
the tasks.

I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

I am using the Tutorial by Alan Gauld, and I am at the bottom of
simple sequences (left side of page).

Gerrit Holl

Rich said:
I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
ran into a problem.

During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
the tasks.

I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

The dos prompt in Windows (or Dos).

Please note that there is also a tutor mailing list, designed to help
new programmers. You may get a quicked answer there.

Gerrit.

Peter Hansen

Rich said:
I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
ran into a problem.

During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
the tasks.

I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

DOS means DOS, which is only the Windows prompt. The Python prompt
would always be called such, or "the interpreter prompt".

I don't know anything about TCI, sorry.

For more effective responses, start a new thread when you have a new
question rather than replying to an existing message. That way others,
who may already have "killed" this thread (i.e. will not see any more
messages linked to the first one you posted) will see your question
and have a chance to reply. (Also consider your subject line and
try to create a descriptive one, rather than generic titles.)

-Peter

Alan Gauld

During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
the tasks.

That tutor is now 5 years old so my recommendation is skip over
the Tcl bits. I am in the process of rewriting it using
Javascript and VBScript instead of Tcl and QBASIC.
I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

The Windows DOS prompt, that is the one that looks like

C:\WINDOWS>
I am using the Tutorial by Alan Gauld, and I am at the bottom of
simple sequences (left side of page).

OK, If you have any specific things about the tutorial (eg
something seems broken) send them to me via the mailto link at
the bottom opf each web page. Any general quesries about Python
send here or to the Python tutor mailing list where more eyes
ensure a faster response.

Finally, you can still read the Tcl and BASIC sections if you
like, they are really there to make the point that the basic
concepts of programming apply equally to anyt language, once you
learn one (Python say) you can learn most others very quickly.

Alan g
Author of the Learn to Program website