Library path question

Julie Warden

Group,

I'm setting up Perl 5.8 on a Sun solaris 5.6 machine and have a question
about the $PATH variable.

My installation is in /usr/local with subdirs:
perl is in bin
libraries are in lib/perl5

lib/perl5 has 4 subdirs and these have subdirs, and some of these have
subdirs. In all I have about 1200 modules in more than 20 directories.

Do I have to include all these directories in my path for perl to find
them? Is there a $LIB var for perl like with C? Will perl parse dir trees
for modules?

If it isn't obvious, I have about 3 days experience with perl, so be
gentle.

Any help appreciated,
Julie

Aukjan van Belkum

Well there is the $PERL5LIB variable which you can set in your
environment, but Perl has its own internal library path which you can
manipulate in your scripts: @INC. From your script you can add to this
array by using the command: 'use lib '<path to modules>'

You can see which paths it traverses by doing:

perl -e 'join "\n", @INC'

Hope this gets you going..

-- Aukjan

Julie Warden

Well there is the $PERL5LIB variable which you can set in your
environment, but Perl has its own internal library path which you can
manipulate in your scripts: @INC. From your script you can add to this
array by using the command: 'use lib '<path to modules>'

You can see which paths it traverses by doing:

perl -e 'join "\n", @INC'

Hope this gets you going..

-- Aukjan

Aukjan,

Thanks! I also got some good info at the SunFreeWare site. This is a
good tip, and I'm anxious to use it.

Julie