Light weight library

Diilb

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
and drop (sortable) functionality.

I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.

Diilbert

Evertjan.

Diilb wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
and drop (sortable) functionality.

I don't understand what could be sortable about drag and drop, but look
here:

<http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Javascript_Drag_and_Drop>

-Lost

Evertjan. said:
Diilb wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

I don't understand what could be sortable about drag and drop, but look
here:

Perhaps the original poster was referring to its ability to reference the z-index by
placing the currently selected object on top of other objects?

-Lost

-Lost

Diilb said:
Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
and drop (sortable) functionality.

http://www.devpro.it/bytefx/#api

....is ridiculously simple to use. Look under bytefx API, fourth one down, 'drag.'

-Lost

Peter Michaux

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
and drop (sortable) functionality.

I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.

Diilbert

If you are interested in writing a bit of JavaScript yourself the Fork
drag library is the most flexible and lightest I've seen. I'm biased
because I wrote it but I think it worked out well.

I haven't posted a sortable list example yet but I've made a few with
different techniques. It depends on the situation how the specific
code is written.

Peter

pcx99

Peter said:
If you are interested in writing a bit of JavaScript yourself the Fork
drag library is the most flexible and lightest I've seen. I'm biased
because I wrote it but I think it worked out well.

I haven't posted a sortable list example yet but I've made a few with
different techniques. It depends on the situation how the specific
code is written.

Peter

This is very nice. Definately a bookmark :)

pcx99

Diilb said:
Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
and drop (sortable) functionality.

I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.

Diilbert

I'm really to the point now where I no longer care (much) about the size
of a javascript library so long as it's under 100k. Once you pass the
source through Mr. Crockford's most excellent JSMin (
http://javascript.crockford.com/jsmin.html ) and then set up a
compression scheme either static (
http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Compressed_HTML_makes_your_pages_zippy ) or
dynamic ( http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Supercharged_Javascript ) even
the largest javascript applications shrink down to under 20k which is
perfectly acceptable.

This may be an alternative for you if you can't find exactly what you're
looking for.

-Lost

Diilb said:
Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
and drop (sortable) functionality.

http://www.harelmalka.com/jwm/

Brings the selected objects ("windows" from DIVs in the above example) to the front,
resting "above" others "below" it.

-Lost

Diilb

I'm really to the point now where I no longer care (much) about the size
of a javascript library so long as it's under 100k. Once you pass the
source through Mr. Crockford's most excellent JSMin (http://javascript.crockford.com/jsmin.html) and then set up a
compression scheme either static (http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Compressed_HTML_makes_your_pages_zippy) or
dynamic (http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Supercharged_Javascript) even
the largest javascript applications shrink down to under 20k which is
perfectly acceptable.

This may be an alternative for you if you can't find exactly what you're
looking for.

--http://www.hunlock.com-- Musings in Javascript, CSS.
$FA

By the looks of it this may be my only option. (thanks) I have a
little time I will wait a bit longer.

Any library suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again ;)

Diilbert

Evertjan.

-Lost wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
Perhaps the original poster was referring to its ability to reference
the z-index by placing the currently selected object on top of other
objects?

Could well be.

Usually I increment the z-index over all the others
and don't bother with a theoretical overflow.

Is there a maximum z-index value btw?

Peter Michaux

-Lost wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

Could well be.

Usually I increment the z-index over all the others
and don't bother with a theoretical overflow.

Is there a maximum z-index value btw?

I asked the same one time somewhere. I didn't get an answer based on
standards. The answer I did get was ridiculously high. Google maps
uses something like up to a trillion for those little bubbles that
show where things are located.

Peter

Diilb

I asked the same one time somewhere. I didn't get an answer based on
standards. The answer I did get was ridiculously high. Google maps
uses something like up to a trillion for those little bubbles that
show where things are located.

Peter

Does anyone else have ideas on this one ? (a light weight drag and
drop lib? )

Thanks again for all the responses :)

Diilbert

VK

Is there a maximum z-index value btw?
I asked the same one time somewhere. I didn't get an answer based on
standards. The answer I did get was ridiculously high. Google maps
uses something like up to a trillion for those little bubbles that
show where things are located.

For ECMAScript version of ActionScript the limit is 10487575 - after
that DOM methods are getting dizzy.

For JScript the display doesn't react on z-index difference for values
above the standard uint precision border of 0xFFFFFFFF (4294967295)
but it neither works for lower values like 4294967290
At the same time it still reacts on values above sint (2147483647)
That suggests that like in ActionScript the limit is not based on some
physical borders but was just off-head chosen by the particular UA
team.

Evertjan.

VK wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
For ECMAScript version of ActionScript the limit is 10487575 - after
that DOM methods are getting dizzy.

For JScript the display doesn't react on z-index difference for values
above the standard uint precision border of 0xFFFFFFFF (4294967295)
but it neither works for lower values like 4294967290
At the same time it still reacts on values above sint (2147483647)
That suggests that like in ActionScript the limit is not based on some
physical borders but was just off-head chosen by the particular UA
team.

Why would it act on scripts?

This is DOM and CSS, not scripting, methinks, so IE and FF.

Randy Webb

Evertjan. said the following on 2/18/2007 5:41 PM:

Why would it act on scripts?

This is DOM and CSS, not scripting, methinks,
True.

so IE and FF.

And not Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, Safari or any other browser?

Evertjan.

Randy Webb wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
Evertjan. said the following on 2/18/2007 5:41 PM:

And not Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, Safari or any other browser?

True, but not scripting, I think.

the DtTvB

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
and drop (sortable) functionality.

I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.

Diilbert

I made a simple one here, if this is what you want and in case you
want to use it:
http://dttvb.yi.org/draggablelist/

the DtTvB
..