    a TextArea control?

    John South
    www.wherecanwego.com

    JohnSouth, Jan 31, 2006

  2. JohnSouth

    impaler Guest

    <textarea onkeypress="if (this.value.length > 200) this.value =
    this.value.substr(0, 200);">
    </textarea>

    do this on onblur too, to avoid copy paste and if there are other
    scenarios to put more too.

    impaler, Jan 31, 2006

  3. Why not limit length of input in the first place?

    <textarea onkeypress="return (this.value.length <= 200);"></textarea>

    where the parens are not necessary. This should be extended to tell
    the user why the number of characters is limited.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jan 31, 2006
  4. JohnSouth

    impaler Guest

    It's a javascript topic so I thought he wants a javascript solution :)

    impaler, Feb 1, 2006
  5. You are talking nonsense. Mine *is* a JavaScript solution as well, which,
    in contrast to yours, limits the length of input on the first place rather
    than correcting the value afterwards. And any solution for this problem
    cannot qualify as a JavaScript solution alone, because the DOM is involved
    always.

    Learn to quote.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 1, 2006
  6. JohnSouth

    JohnSouth Guest

    Thanks to All. It's clear to me now, and it makes a big improvement to
    the entry screen.
    Cheers

    John South
    www.wherecanwego.com