Looking at a css page

fulio pen

Hello,

I am interested in the following web page:

http://www.elgin.free-online.co.uk/showtones.htm

And like to see its css code which is in an external page:

<link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="display.css">

Could anyone teach me on how to look at (open) the external css page
with such information?

Thanks for teaching.

fulio pen

Jukka K. Korpela

I am interested in the following web page:

http://www.elgin.free-online.co.uk/showtones.htm

And like to see its css code which is in an external page:

<link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="display.css">

Could anyone teach me on how to look at (open) the external css page
with such information?

A simple(-minded) way is to append the relative URL "display.css" to the
base URL, which is in this case "http://www.elgin.free-online.co.uk/"
(just delete everything after the last "/" in the document's own URL) to get

http://www.elgin.free-online.co.uk/display.css

and visit that page on your browser. (Technically, the base URL could be
different, it could be set in the document, with the <base> tag.)

A better way is to use e.g. the Chrome browser and press F12 to enter
"developer mode", then open the <link> element in the source view and
click on its attribute "style.css". You will then see the style sheet as
color-coded (i.e., property names in red, etc.).

Other modern browsers have similar tools, but Chrome might be the best
to start with. Note that Chrome developer tools also let you click on
any element in the source view and see the CSS code applicable to it
(Styles and Matched CSS rules) as well as the computed values of CSS
properties (Computed Style). The dimensional issues are shown
separately, under "Metrics".

In this case, the style sheet starts with
<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
which means that someone saved it from the net and later uploaded onto
the web server, without even editing that comment!

Jonathan N. Little

Since they start out with HTML comment in an CSS file I question the
value is studying their code.

Jukka K. Korpela

Since they start out with HTML comment in an CSS file I question the
value is studying their code.

It depends on the purposes of your study. It might be an interesting
study on bogosity (the style sheet has over 20 other errors too), or a
study on some specific aspect of styling. Just because 50% of something
is crap does not mean that all the rest is completely useless.

And you cannot usually decide whether a style sheet is worth studying
before having some access to it, can you? I saw the question as relating
to seeing what a style sheet really is.

Jonathan N. Little

Jukka said:
It depends on the purposes of your study. It might be an interesting
study on bogosity

Can you get a degree in that? ;-)

(the style sheet has over 20 other errors too), or a
study on some specific aspect of styling. Just because 50% of something
is crap does not mean that all the rest is completely useless.

And you cannot usually decide whether a style sheet is worth studying
before having some access to it, can you? I saw the question as relating
to seeing what a style sheet really is.

Jonathan N. Little

fulio said:
Thanks to all for your expertise and discussion. Your help is greatly
appreciated.

You can learn a lot about web design by looking at what others do but
you can also pickup a lot of bad practice as well.