Looking for a VHDL book

David

Can anybody recommend a good VHDL book? I am not for a book aimed at
beginners. I already have some experience with VHDL (and quite a bit
with Verilog). I read a beginner's VHDL book some years ago. I recently
dug it out and it does not satisfy (it is too simplistic and
incomplete). I'm looking for a book that will explain the details and
advanced features of the language and can serve as a (complete) reference.

Thanks in advance.

David

Eric Smith

David said:
Can anybody recommend a good VHDL book? I am not for a book aimed at
beginners. I already have some experience with VHDL (and quite a bit
with Verilog). I read a beginner's VHDL book some years ago. I
recently dug it out and it does not satisfy (it is too simplistic and
incomplete). I'm looking for a book that will explain the details and
advanced features of the language and can serve as a (complete)
reference.

Sounds like you should just get IEEE 1076-2001, which is available in
PDF or dead tree form. It costs $90 if you're an IEEE member, or a
little more if you're not.

Bert Cuzeau

Eric Smith wrote:

Sounds like you should just get IEEE 1076-2001, which is available in
PDF or dead tree form. It costs $90 if you're an IEEE member, or a
little more if you're not.

Sorry, I would certainly NOT recommend the LRM except if you intend
to write a VHDL parser or simulator or synthesis tool etc...

For years, even experts did fight about the correct interpretation
of some sentences... And it certainly didn't get famous for its numerous
examples. Good training material for a lawyer maybe ;-)

VHDL isn't that complex, but you couldn't tell by reading this. And if
you're looking for useful advanced features, you couldn't tell either.
Better simply make a donation to IEEE (if you think the money will go
where it should).

Some books from Ben Cohen are good, but I would definitely recommend
Janick's last edition of "Writing testbenches" including ABV.
The most advanced features of VHDL have chances to be useable only
in a Verification/Behavioral modeling context imo. And that's were
the challenges are today.
This book is probably not for newbies but if I'd keep only
one book it would be this one.

Bert Cuzeau